What am I doing wrong?! (ergo hip hold) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I followed the directions on the ergo website for the hip hold (after failing to figure it out on my own) but I just can't seem to get it comfy. The strap that goes over the shoulder keeps riding up my neck. It's more like a carotid carry... Ready to give up.
Tia!
#2 of 3 Old 01-18-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone? Thanks!
#3 of 3 Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM

You may not going to like my answer, but... you probably aren't doing anything wrong.  Although Ergo markets their carrier as having front, hip, and back positioning options it's really designed for front and back.  While the hip position is possible, most people do not find it to be the best or most comfortable option for a hip carry.  I worked in a store that sold Ergos for a few years, and pretty much everyone who came in looking for help with the hip position with their Ergo complained about the strap riding up as well.  You could try to have the shoulder strap rest on the ball of your shoulder to start, that should be more comfortable, but chances are if you move your arm it will ride up.  The strap is too narrow and not contoured to cup your shoulder, hence the riding up.

If you really want/need to do a hip carry you may want to invest in a carrier better suited to that position.  A ring sling, pouch, short wrap, or even a dedicated hip carrier would probably be more comfortable then the Ergo.  If you have questions about choosing between those carriers, please do post.  I'm sure we'd be able to help you figure out what would work best for you and your little one.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page