babywearing and airports - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-15-2011, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hey all! going on our first plane trip soon and i plan to wear my 6 month old son in some kind of carrier throughout the airport.  then it occurred to me that airport security might have a problem with the "package" strapped to my chest. 

any advice?  anecdotes?  carrier suggestions?  will they make me take him out of his sling/wrap?  also, any general plane trip/traveling advice would be great!  keep in mind it's just me and baby so i'm mostly trippin on how i'm going to be able to carry everything...including the baby! 

thanks ladies!

#2 of 7 Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wearing baby in a wrap, they always just squeezed and examined the knot at security.  But I did need to remember to take baby's shoes/coat off before putting him on. 

#3 of 7 Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 AM

When I had dd in a sling, I had to take her out and send the sling through the machine though it could be that they knew the metal ring would set of the metal detector. They also make you take the baby out on the plane for take off and landing (at least Air Canada does - cna't speak for other airlines).

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#4 of 7 Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM

I would just count on having to take baby out of the carrier for security, and for takeoff and landing, no matter what -- if it works out otherwise you can be pleasantly surprised!

I'd take whatever is easiest for you to pop baby into and out of. A ring sling or a hip carrier like the Scootababy would allow you to have the most poppability, while a buckle carrier for back carries would give you the best ability to be hands-free on your travels and for pushing luggage carts, etc.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 7 Old 01-16-2011, 04:35 PM

In '06 I wore my 2w old daughter 4x through security in a Moby w/no issue. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 7 Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 PM

My husband works for an airline, so we get to fly A LOT.

- The TSA rules recently changed, so they will make you take the carrier off to go through security. They will also make you take baby out of a carrier for take off and landing, but during the flight the baby can be in a carrier.

- Wear slip on shoes to pass through security easily.

- I would recommend a soft padded carrier - an Ergo or Boba or something similar if your babe is 6months old. If you had a teeny one, then I'd suggest a sling. (You can rock the baby in the sling on the plane, and they will sleep well.) The Ergo is most comfortable for long walking, and it's easy to get baby in/out. (Assuming your baby likes this carrier; some babies don't like to face in. My sister"s son likes to face out, so she uses a Baby Bjorn. She'd much prefer an Ergo though.)

- I would suggest purchasing a car seat bag that is a backpack, such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Ultimate-Seat-Travel-Black/dp/B0009RNXNA

(Note: it will accommodate an infant carrier or a convertible type seat, so it will last for years.)

- The car seat bag is BIG. Use it to pack extra items (cloth diapers, blanket, coats, etc.) I usually pack our cloth diapers, and additional supplies in a duffel bag. After I put the car seat into the car seat bag, I put the duffel bag on top of the seat and then zip it all up. Baby items, such as car seats or strollers, do not count as baggage, so you will save yourself some money with check fees - plus it will be easier to carry your luggage. Baby on the front, car seat/diapers on your back, a rolling suitcase, plus a diaper bag on top of rolling suitcase.

- Check as much as possible.

- Don't bother with a stroller. Airlines won't fix it if it breaks, and strollers break often when they are checked.

- A diaper bag does NOT count as a carry-on. You can have a diaper bag plus a carry-on, plus a purse. I like to go light though, so I only pack one large diaper bag and pack everything in it, including wallet and keys.

- Tips for your carry-on:

Pack plenty of diapers. There could be a mechanical/weather delay and you might find yourself one a long layover, possibly overnight if things go badly. Pack plenty of food/snacks for yourself. I like PB&J sandwiches, carrot sticks, protein bars, etc. Things that are easy to eat with one hand.

- One the plane, when babe is tired, I will go back to the galley and slow dance with him in a circle in the Ergo until he falls asleep.

- If you use cloth diapers, you can pack the dirty ones in a zip lock or in a wet bag. We've fallen in love with the Fabulous Wet Bag from Bummis. We use the size Medium. We have one in the diaper bag, and one in the checked bag (full of diapers from the night before.)

http://www.bummis.com/us/en/fabulous-wet-bags.php

Safe travels. :)

#7 of 7 Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We've been on 7 flights with DS so far (7.5 months), and we had to take him out of the carrier and take it off through security every time. We had an Ergo. Just leave extra time for all the fumbling out of and back into the carrier.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page