Best carriers to help with infant gas/reflux? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 week old DD has gas and reflux and she strongly prefers to be held/carried upright. I really want to wear her more but I'm having some issues with the stretchy wrap (homemade out of fabric) that I have. I don't know if it's my lack of experience or the material but I'm having a really hard time getting the wrap to support her well. I practice several times a day with it but every time it either hurts my back so that I have to give up after 20 minutes or she fusses so much I haul her out to discover really deep fabric creases on her legs/feet that make me think I'm not doing it right. We were successful one time and it felt "right"-no pain for me and she was happy and got some good restful sleep. We also have an Ergo with infant insert but it seems really bulky to just wear around the house for such a tiny baby. Does anyone have any (preferably cheap) wraps that are good with infant upright positions or any tips that would help me use the ones I have better?

#2 of 3 Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD had awful reflux and HATED being carried laying down, so I always carried her in my Sleepy Wrap vertically on my chest. She practically lived in that thing until she was about 5 months old.

Remember with the stretchy wrap that when you put it on there should be NO slack. Literally snug right up against your body. Since it's stretchy, it'll stretch to fit the baby. I think having it too loose would definitely cause pain for both sides.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#3 of 3 Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey mama!  I'm sorry to hear you and your baby are uncomfortable. 

Really, any baby carrier would allow you to carry your baby upright, tummy to tummy.  So a ring sling, a wrap, a mei tai, or a soft structured carrier (SSC) like the Ergo should work. 

If you want to keep working on getting your stretchy wrap to feel comfortable, this is a video I really like.  This carry is called a front wrap cross carry (FWCC).  I liked it better than pretying my stretchy wrap.  With pretying, you have to figure out exactly how tight to do it, and where to wrap the passes, so that when you put the baby in the wrap is tight enough and everything is in the right place.  But with the FWCC, you put the baby in the wrap and then finish tying it, so it's easier to get the wrap tight enough and positioned correctly.

If you can post a picture of you and your baby in the stretchy wrap, I can help you figure out how to make it more comfortable.  thumb.gif

It might turn out that a stretchy wrap just isn't supportive enough for you to feel comfortable in it.  I felt comfortable with DD in our stretchy wrap until she was around 15 lbs, but after that the wrap sagged, which is what makes it hurt your back.  Then I switched to mei tais and woven wraps.  Now DD is 28ish lbs and almost 2, and I still find mei tais and woven wraps supportive enough.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page