ssc with higher back than ergo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quick question.  We wear, and enjoy, our ergo with our 23 pound, 28 1/2 inch 9 month old--it distributes his weight well.  However, he can be an archer and I feel like the back of the carrier doesn't come up high enough on his back.  Can anyone recommend a SSC that has a higher back?  Preferably one that would also work for a NB.  

(We have a mei tai, a storch and two ring slings as well--but for LONG wearing we like the ergo's weight distribution)

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM

A boba is higher. However it cannot be used with a newborn but you already have an ergo and a ring sling that could be used for a nb...so it might be the solution your looking for.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 AM

An Action Baby Carrier is higher and it's probably the least expensive out of all of the SSC's out there.  I've had mine since DS was 3 months old and he's 10.5months, 22lbs and I can still wear him hours on end.  http://www.actionbabycarriers.com/

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 PM

Most of the SSCs that have higher back and are better for toddlers are not great for newborns.  I second the recommendation of the Boba, and I also love the BabyHawk Oh Snap but it's a very large bodied carrier (will absolutely not work for babies younger then 6mo, sometimes even under 1yr depending on size).  A Beco Gemini can be used for a newborn and it does have a high back when you have the headrest up, but it has a somewhat narrow seat.  There's also the Olives&Applesauce, which has higher back an internal seat that can be used for newborns and young infants (but doesn't have to be used with an older baby). 

I hope that gets you started in your search.  I hope you find something that works soon!

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

We're thinking the boba.  Thanks everyone!  Hate to spend money on a new carrier (when we have so many) but for long hikes or long wearing we need the support of a SSC at the moment (we also wrap, but I find that cumbersome for back carries when I'm home alone).  We love our babyhawk but for hiking/snowshoeing the support in the belt of the ergo has been better than the ties.  So, Boba it is.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Manduca's are taller too.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM

I had this issue with Ergo for my first 2 kids, then I switched to Beco. It provided a solid 4 inches more back height to hold their wiggles in.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY

User Tag List