Best Carrier for Side Wearing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby loves to be carried on my hip while I do chores around the house.  My current carrier doesn't allow for side carrying and my arms can't hold him through a full list of chores.  I've looked at both a Moby and an Ergo.  Anyone love their carrier in a side carry position?

Thanks!

#2 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM

If the only thing you need this carrier to do is a hip hold, I would go for a pouch or a ring sling.  They both really shine in that position.  The Moby is probably not going to be supportive enough if your baby is older then say 4mo, because the material is stretchy, plus it's a lot of fabric just for a hip hold... you'd be better off getting a shorter length woven wrap if you like the idea of just using a piece of fabric.  And while the Ergo is a good front and back carrier, I would not recommend it for a hip hold; while it's a possible position it's usually not very comfortable (shoulder strap rides up on most people) and would probably be pretty bulky for just wearing around the house.

So yeah, I'd go for a ring sling or a pouch.  A dedicated hip carrier, like the Scootababy, would also be a good choice but it's kind of expensive.  Very comfortable though!  Good luck in your search. smile.gif

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Go for a German Style woven and get hip, front and back carries all in one carrier.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#4 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I'll check those out and keep posted! wink1.gif

#5 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 PM

I adored my New Natve Baby Carrier. It is priced reasonably and can be used for several holds. In and out of hip hold was a breeze. Easy to throw in a diaper bag or purse, very washable. Check it out online!
#6 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM

I use a short Hoppediz (woven) around the house, tied in Robyn's Hip Carry. Super comfortable!

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#7 of 9 Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 PM

The ideal hip carrier for older babies and toddlers who have outgrown a comfortable ring sling hip position, IMO is the Scootababy.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#8 of 9 Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM

I used to have an Ellaroo Mei Hip and LOVED it.  It got lost when I lent it out.  I liked the wrap-like shoulder for distributing weight.  I am a ring sling gal these days, though.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#9 of 9 Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 AM

I think the Scootababy is great for hip carrying! It's very quick and easy to put on. The only downside, you don't truly have both hands free like a back carrier since one of your arms is behind the baby and the baby has easier access to reaching what your doing (such as, I find cooking difficult with it). But overall, since my dd likes to be hip carried the best, it's an excellent option to have on hand!

SAHM to my #1 little miss (9/11/09) and have been TTC since 06/10 (with 1 loss 3/12/11).We do all the usual "crunchy" things!I'm typing from my iPhone so please excuse any errors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page