picking a new carrier - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dh is letting me buy another carrier for this bean (that sounds bad, but using money on something we do 'have' is a big deal)

Anyway I was thinking ERGO, but then some people were saying they don't like it.

I have a very short torso (I literally can fit my tumb short way between my ribs and hip bone) and am large busted.

I have a Moby that I LOVE and made a MT for DS that was awesome... I probably could get by with just those two again, but I'm thinking toddler and time to get wrapped up might not work as well.

Oh I tried a ring sling and hated it. I need the distribution across my back (lower back issue from car accident, not always a problem but I need to stand straight)

Thanks so so so much!

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#2 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 10:06 AM

I am long torso'd and I cannot stand the ERGO.  Doesn't sit right for me.  We just started embracing a ring sling that I have had since DS's birth.  Stretchy wraps are fantastic but I find as DS gets bigger... they seem a tad too restrictive for him.. we use it while mowing the yard.  I am interested in the Mai Tai... making one for myself from pattern I found on MDC from this mama...

http://takebackhome.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/homemade-mei-tai/

We shall see if it is a go!  Good luck!

'09   
#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 12:51 PM

I am fairly short torsoed and when breastfeeding my dd my bust was 36 DD+ depending how engorged I was. I loved my ergo a lot for both front and back carries. I started using it when my dd was 2.5 months, and found it worked very well until she was about 2.5 years old when her legs were a bit too long to be supported by the carrier. For a newborn you would need to purchase the infant insert most likely. It might be best to wait until baby comes, and then order from a retailer that has a good return policy, and a good selection of soft structured carriers so that you could exchange it if you don't like.

#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM

I am very short torsoed also and the Ergo was awful for me, too bulky, uncomfortable and the straps kept sliding off no matter what I tried.

I got a Beco Gemini and it is awesome!  http://www.becobabycarrier.com/cat-13/beco-Gemini

It's great for tiny babies because you can cinch the bottom and there is no infant insert needed.  It's also great for bigger babies, my DD is 14 month old and still fits great and it is very comfortable, I barely feel her weight.

You can use it for front, back or side carries plus if you want a forward facing carry it is designed to do one ergonomically.

Can you tell I love it?lol  :)  The difference between the Ergo and Gemini is that the Gemini is streamlined and the straps can be crossed which makes the  fit very good if you are petite.  The body of it is higher than the Ergo and the weight limit still is up to 35 pounds.

It was such an accident that I got signed up for the preview list and I'm so glad I did!

ETA I would also recommend checking out http://thebabywearer.com for tons of info on carriers and how to choose one. 

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#5 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 03:35 PM

Is there somewhere close to your house that will let you try some on? I personally do not like the Ergo because the straps are too wide for my shoulders, and the Beco is better, I hear that the Boba is Awesome.....are you set on a SSC? You could splurge and get a woven... 

Mama to 3 wonderfully crazy boys!! jumpers.gif
#6 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 03:09 PM

So much is personal preference and individual body types.  If you can't find some locally to try on, maybe buy one of each from a place with a great return policy so you can test them at home?

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#7 of 7 Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks...I might have to do that (buy and try I mean)...I was hoping to get used though....

I really love my Mei tai, but when I was about 5-6 months pregnant I could no longer carry DS, I guessed because of the lack of support and thought maybe a SSC would provide more?

Also the ease of on and off...

I'm so looking forward to getting back into baby wearing and even maybe wearing DS again! 

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page