best wrapping technique for winter/wet weather - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok...

So I'm trying to figure out...for the second time in my babywearing career...which way is best to wrap a baby in winter and wet weather. My issue is trying to not get the ends of the wrap soaking wet from puddles, slush piles or snow. I wrap my babe when going anywhere from the car, as we don't use a bucket infant seat so he must go into a sling. I find ring slings to be too straining on my back when used for longer time frames so only use it when going quickly to and from a store (ie. paying for gas). 

I've just started leaving the house with ds, we have done some groceries, a quick trip with dd to the outdoors store and a trip to the baby studio. I also take dd to school most days and have to go in to drop her off. We have tried pre-tying on the FCC and the Pocket-FWCC with both a woven and a stretchy (respectively) but I'm finding that the stretchy just isn't comfortable anymore with my 12lb monster!  I prefer a woven but struggle with getting a good snug fit with a pre-tied technique and prefer to wrap him each time. My favourite carry for him is the FWCC with a woven but am struggling to get that on without getting soaked. This was much easier in a dry cold winter (believe it or not!). The winters where I live now are mild comparatively (I used to live in the arctic) and that means there are days when there is a lot of *wet* on the ground. 

Any tips or thoughts...? I'm being picky about this I know...but I have a history of upper back issues and work in physiotherapy and really want to prevent any flare ups before they begin by getting him in a good comfy wrap position, which I can't seem to do with a pre-tied wrap. I am posting this on TBW as well...but hoping between the two to get some good responses. TIA!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 PM

I know what you mean, I really don't like wet ends! I have been using the Gemini a lot because I can have it all buckled and just pop her in and out and tighten/loosen. But I really prefer wrapping. The thing that works best for me is pretying the FCC with a woven wrap, putting her in and then once I get in the store, adjusting to get it good and tight.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 PM

My favourite carry is the double hammock/chunei carry and it is impossible to do it in yucky weather...so usually I will park as close as I can get, ditch my jacket, and run in the store with baby and then tie inside. If he is sleeping when I am ready to go, I will climb inside my van and untie with the doors shut! (that is super hard tho).

I do pretie a lot if it is a quick in and out, but it has to be a wrap. I just do not find *anything* else comfortable. Can you get a shorter wrap?? I am thinking that will help me.

Mama to 3 wonderfully crazy boys!! jumpers.gif
Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 PM

For short trips, would you consider a ring sling, or a shorty rebozo?  Or een buckle carrier?

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM

I do most of my wrapping at home, before we leave to do errands.  We live in a city so we walk everywhere, though.  Are you wrapping in the parking lot?  I hear it suggested a lot to grab the baby and the wrap, dash inside, take off your coat, and then wrap.  I totally relate to not feeling like a pre-tied fcc or pwcc feels as good as a fwcc.  You could also try using a shorty for RUB (I know you want 2 shouldered carries).  I've also heard of people wrapping in the back seat of the car.  In fact, there's a video on TBW (maybe in C&U a Wrap) of a mama wrapping a double hammock in the back seat.  I don't think I could manage that though!

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
Old 02-02-2011, 05:39 PM

I use a pre-tied FCC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unWZK8qaKa0 but instead of tying it, I bring each tail up under the side rail, then let it hang out to the side. I pre-tie pretty snug and put baby in in a hurry. Once inside, I snuf each side independently. Hunch the right shoulder forward while pulling the left tail and bouncing, then swap. You may then be able to tie a knot in the tippy tails under baby's bum, and this keeps it from loosening. It's not quite as comfy as a FWCC, but pretty good for a pre-tie.

I also sometimes partially pre-tie a FWCC and wrap it loosely around my waist and tie. I pop baby into the pocket and hold onto her until we're inside and I can find a place to let the tails fall.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifera2 View Post

I use a pre-tied FCC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unWZK8qaKa0 but instead of tying it, I bring each tail up under the side rail, then let it hang out to the side. I pre-tie pretty snug and put baby in in a hurry. Once inside, I snuf each side independently. Hunch the right shoulder forward while pulling the left tail and bouncing, then swap. You may then be able to tie a knot in the tippy tails under baby's bum, and this keeps it from loosening. It's not quite as comfy as a FWCC, but pretty good for a pre-tie.

I also sometimes partially pre-tie a FWCC and wrap it loosely around my waist and tie. I pop baby into the pocket and hold onto her until we're inside and I can find a place to let the tails fall.

Great suggestions...I have been mastering the FCC over the past few days, but am planning to try a FWCC like you suggested when I head into town for groceries tomorrow am. This was my mom's suggestion actually...she and I were brainstorming on this and she offered this up as an idea!

Thanks everyone...winterbabywearing is a challenge sometimes but can be done with lots of creativity!  Kind of makes me excited for spring and summer though!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

User Tag List