Baby carrier question? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are looking into a Beco or Ergo for our baby due in 2ish months. We have a Moby already but would like to get one of these carriers.

SO and I are both bigger ( 200 + pounds ) would one work better than the other due to weight?

Can you tell me which carrier you have and what you love and don't like about it?

( sorry if this is the wrong area to post)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM

You might get more replies in the Babywearing section here.  Babywearer.com is also an awesome place to get lots of opinions on both those very popular carriers.

I am a certified instructor & have hundreds of hours of wearing experience.  I was a 10/12 pre-kids, a 14/16 with dd1 but am now an 18/20 (cursing outloud right now).  And my belly is carrying much of that weight.   All that said, I don't like the Ergo.  I felt like it sat weird on my belly & pushed my pants down.  

If you can, I would consider a SSC made by a stay at home Mom where you can have it actually made plus size.  It will dramatically improve your comfort level.  The FSOT board at babywearer.com might have used ones & you might get lucky & score a Kanga XT or a Kinderpack in Plus Size.  (honestly-the best 2 SSC carriers I have ever worn)  They both have long wait lists for new, but used ones are often around.

My other suggestion would be going with a Babyhawk Oh Snap.  It is very adjustable & also can be ordered with XL straps which gives you even more flexibility.  

Feel free to PM me.  Not sure where you are in NY but Metro Minis in NYC has a great selection you can try in person.  And if you want to take a drive to NJ, you can try out my carriers to see how they fit/feel :)  

Ooops-just realized your baby isn't here yet...the Kanga XT will be too big right now-but the Kanga J would work froggy leg.  My Kinderpack is her newer infant design so the bottom cinches so a baby can have legs out-but I found my girls prefer to be froggied anyway.  I also love MTs or half buckles for the 1st year...and MTs are very adjustable since it's all straps/no buckles.  

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 PM

I just wanted to clarify that it is http://www.thebabywearer.com/ smile.gif

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM

Thx Aimee! :)  I always just type babywearer.com & it takes me there??? I wonder if it's a setting on my computer since I visit it often?? 

But however you get there...it is the best resource for all things babywearing related  :)  

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Babywearing

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

I'm actually in NorthWest PA now....middle of no-where.

I'll check that site out and take a peek at the 2 SSC you mentioned...

User Tag List