Babywearing at the beach? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live .5 miles from the beach nd spend a good deal of time there during the sunmer months.  DS#2 will be 1 in August.  I havent seen any waterproof ring slings.  what are they made of?  is it worth getting just for the waterproof aspect?  What did you find worked best for your LO's?   TIA

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM

I have not used a carrier in the water.

I do use a carrier to and from the water. The sand can be hot underfoot or in soft shoes for the little ones.

I do not go to the ocean with my two little ones without my husband.

DD is a swimmer and demands to be out beyond the shore break DS is little and wants to be in closer to dry land.

I have found it impossible to manage the two of them at the same time in the ocean.

At the water park I use a towel for a torso carry when DS is done. I do not even get out the doors before he is nodding off.

If I had a little one I would get the Wrapsody Baby water wrap as I like two shoulder carries vs a single shoulder carry of a ring sling.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

That looks awesome!  I wouldnt have thought to use a stretchy, bathing suit type fabric - of course that really make sense!  Your two sound like my oldest two when they were young!  This is my third and now i have LOTS of help.  I mainly dont want my DS#2 to freak out with the waves etc....  I like my back pack carrier for the walk TO the beach...

Can I ask - what is a "Certified Baby Wearing Consultant"? 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

I mainly dont want my DS#2 to freak out with the waves etc....

I hear DS#2 went thru a phase of the water is GETTING ME SAVE ME! Now he STOMPS on the waves and growls at them.

Can I ask - what is a "Certified Baby Wearing Consultant"? 

I trained with one of the German babywearing schools. A US business hosted them in US a few years ago. 
We learned safety, the benefits of babywearing, how to wear baby, as well the research/science and using carriers with special needs. The classes took 5 days of intensive hands on learning and a take home test. That resulted in certification.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds so cool ....do you teach Baby Wearing Workshops?  

Old 02-27-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

That sounds so cool ....do you teach Baby Wearing Workshops?  

Not as much I as would like to.

Most of my knowledge is shared at my local babywearing meetings, Le Leche meetings, private consultations and the occasional mom out and about who is babywearing in a manner that can use improvement or clearly needs help.  love.gif

Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM

I tried one of those front pouch water carriers once and it was awful. I felt like I had no control over where my babys face was in proximity to the water. And with a fear of water, it stressed me out royally. I wouldn't see an issue with getting a RS wet though. I had a CSRS custom, I used to wash all the time.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 AM

Just my personal experience, I used a GypsyMama Bali Baby Breeze (the original model). It was really just a long piece of gauze fabric. It's a bit stretchy when it's dry but it was very supportive. I didn't wear it into the water though. Though, I supposed I could have. I loved it because it was super light and very quick drying.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 PM

One of my best friends swears by her solarveil ring sling.  They're water proof, provide some sun protection and aren't very expensive. 

Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, the  Solarveil ring sling is most coveted!   They stopped making the fabric and now these things are selling at a premium.  I like to make my own - so i am currently scouring the planet for sunblocked fabric - barring that i think i will use gauze, thanks for all the suggestions!

User Tag List