Tell me about how you get your baby OUT of a back carry... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've got an Ergo which i really love.  I have recently tried putting my 6 mth DD into a back carry.

She seems to like it, but if I need to get her out I feel like I'm going to drop her!! I try and take her out the same way i get her in... the hip scoot, but I feel like there has got to be a better way!!

I'd love some suggestions etc about how exactly you take your little one out without help...

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 14 Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 PM

I never used an ergo, but my DD was back carried from 3 days (not that I'm recommending that).  I generally just put a hand under her bum, loosened anything around my waist, sat down, leaned back and shrugged off my shoulder straps.  Sometimes I would slide her onto my hip. Usually laid her back onto the bed because she was sleeping.

Good luck

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#3 of 14 Old 02-26-2011, 07:36 PM

I've just starting using an Ergo and my daughter is a bit older (11 months), but I usually do the hip scoot around.  Otherwise I sit down on the couch and the unbuckle that way, keeping her secure between my back and the couch.

Mama to three

#4 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 01:29 PM

I do the hip scoot around too, but that was probably about from 10 months on. I think at 6 months I probably didn't feel comfortable other than to sit on the couch or bed and scoot them off.

#5 of 14 Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 PM

To get them on, I swing them up over my shoulder by the armpits, and to get them down I lean over until I'm almost horizontal then slide them down my back towards my butt while holding their arms and then slide them to the side and grab them under the armpits and slide them onto the floor or into my arms.  It's kind of hard to describe.  I do it all standing up.  It's kind of funny b/c when people who know nothing about babywearing see me put a baby on my back and take them off again, they always about have a heart attack.  I have yet to drop a single baby though wink1.gif, and I've worn a bunch of them (nannying and daycare). 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#6 of 14 Old 02-28-2011, 06:19 PM

I always leaned forward, letting my back support her and did the scoot. My baby was extremely good about hanging onto me with her arms and legs so I never felt any real cause for concern and never had a major issue. When she was smaller, I used to loosen the straps on the bottom and twist her around in the entire carrier. I never figured out a good way to do it, no one was there to help me out!

#7 of 14 Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

IOtherwise I sit down on the couch and the unbuckle that way, keeping her secure between my back and the couch.

^^^^That!^^^

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#8 of 14 Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 AM

I don't have an Ergo so I'm not sure if this would work for it but when I have her in the mei tai, I undo the top straps and do a hip scoot and put my foot on something so that my leg is raised for support.
With a wrap I just undo the whole thing and lean way over, holding her with my hand on her back and hip scoot around.
I would just keep practicing, it was very awkward in the beginning but got easier over time.
If I'm at home, though, I just stand in front of the chair and loosen everything, then sit down and take the top stuff down so that she sits on the chair. That only worked for me when she was bigger because she flopped back and bounced, her favorite part of getting down! smile.gif

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#9 of 14 Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 AM

In the ergo, I just sat down on the bed and let my ds  down onto the bed slowly.  A couch worked well too, and I started doing the hip scoot to get him down when he was about 10mo (maybe 9mo?).

#10 of 14 Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM

What I did (when I had an ergo, I use wraps now) was hold onto his back, let the carrier drop, and just pull him around. He ends up sideways, sometimes slightly upside down, but he doesn't seem to mind at all.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
#11 of 14 Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBriTo2 View Post

What I did (when I had an ergo, I use wraps now) was hold onto his back, let the carrier drop, and just pull him around. He ends up sideways, sometimes slightly upside down, but he doesn't seem to mind at all.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

yeahthat.gif

That's pretty much what we do.

When at the car, I open the door, unbuckle the carrier, then prop my foot on the floor of the car to make a little shelf with my thigh to provide a little support for him to sit on when I scoot him over.

I guess it's hard to explain. Sorry, if you are a visual person, my description was NO help whatsoever. lol.gif

#12 of 14 Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM

I generally use a wrap, but I do it like this video (using an ergo) shows. I think it's pretty much what MamaBriTo2 said, and it took some practice to feel comfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q36idyn7g0

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#13 of 14 Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifera2 View Post

I generally use a wrap, but I do it like this video (using an ergo) shows. I think it's pretty much what MamaBriTo2 said, and it took some practice to feel comfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q36idyn7g0

If you watch this video, I do what she does to put him on but in reverse to get baby out.  I do not scoot the waist of the carrier.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#14 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMama View Post

To get them on, I swing them up over my shoulder by the armpits, and to get them down I lean over until I'm almost horizontal then slide them down my back towards my butt while holding their arms and then slide them to the side and grab them under the armpits and slide them onto the floor or into my arms.  It's kind of hard to describe.  I do it all standing up.  It's kind of funny b/c when people who know nothing about babywearing see me put a baby on my back and take them off again, they always about have a heart attack.  I have yet to drop a single baby though " rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/wink1.gif">wink1.gif, and I've worn a bunch of them (nannying and daycare). 

I do the same, but I usually squat when I do it. I often untie the carrier (mei tai) completely before hand so that DS slides easily. DS got an idea of the carry really quickly and now he stays really still on my back as I tie him in or take him down. It took some getting used to but it gets really easy with practice.

sleepytime.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page