Help me find the best woven wrap for my money, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know Didy is the "original" woven wrap and have heard good things about it. Storches are way cheaper, but i have heard great things about that too.

What are the differences in the two? Which do you prefer?

Also I am confused on the sizing and stink at math. The Storch I was looking at says 2.7m, so 2.7 meters converted to feet is like almost 9 ft but that's a short wrap? All the wraps I have are 5ft...???????

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 18 Old 03-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Storch. and Didymos  both make great wovens for babies/kids of any size you can carry.  For a toddlers and bigger ones, I like Hoppediz, but I can't get my 17lb. 3.5 month old in it comfortably yet.  Girasol and Medley also make nice sturdy wraps. 

If you are interested in gently used ones, there are often lots on The Baby Wearer.

To do most standard front and back carries, most mamas (or papas) will need 5 yards or more. 

#3 of 18 Old 03-05-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

OMG duh I meant yards! No wonder it made no sense to me! duh.gif I am sleep deprived lol

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#4 of 18 Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 PM

The 2+ meter ones are shorties.  Some people really love them for ruck carries and not much excess fabric to make you hot, but they are of limited utility IMO.  If you want to do FCC, FWCC, or BWCC, you'll need the longer sizes.

#5 of 18 Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 AM

You can drive yourself dizzy with the variations in all the GSWs. There are differences in feel for  Didymos if you go between jacquards, indios, etc. The same with Storchenwieges, Girasols, etc. Most GSWs are "engineered" to be a stronger and tougher fabric than your standard home decor-weight fabric. The FSOT of thebabywearer is where you'll find affordable used ones.

#6 of 18 Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 PM

I was about to post a question about woven wraps so this is very timely.  My tiny baby is almost 18 lbs now and the Moby isn't working for us anymore.  I'm really lusting after a Didymos waves in red but yikes that's expensive.  But check this out ... http://www.amazon.com/Didymos-Baby-Carrier-Waves-Silver/dp/B000YER3BQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299470914&sr=8-3

Not cheap, but definitely cheaper.  I'm currently a size 14 .. on top, if you know what I mean .. so maybe a Didy size 7 would be right for me.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#7 of 18 Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

That is cheaper. I want the red one too but the one they have listed as red isn't waves, and it's pink and purple. Idk if you noticed that. It's waaay cheaper than the other ones too..

#8 of 18 Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM

I would check the used ones on the Baby Wearer - you can get good carries much more affordable than that.  smile.gif

#9 of 18 Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Where is the FSOT on that site? I can't find it!

#10 of 18 Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 PM

The For sale or Trade is closer to the bottom of the page on the forum part of the site
I think this link will take you right to it
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?63-For-Sale-or-Trade

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#11 of 18 Old 03-09-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

TY!

#12 of 18 Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 AM

My sister makes an affordable hemp/cotton wrap, what is your budget?

#13 of 18 Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

well I actually just found a size 6 blue indio for $90! FSOT in TBW! SO EXCITED!

TY though

#14 of 18 Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 AM

that's a good deal - FSOT is great for wraps, there's always brisk business there. If you want to be blown away by wrap prices, search for 'pamir' on FSOT ;)

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#15 of 18 Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Is pamir a person? I can't find anything

#16 of 18 Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM

Pamir is a wrap made by a company named Vatanai. It is handwoven by a single women, and they are not readily available. They have gone fore very, very high prices on FSOT.

#17 of 18 Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

oh ok lol I have seen some Diddys on there for like $250 I thought that was insane...

#18 of 18 Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 AM

That's nothing compared to Pamir, lol smile.gif
I did get to see one in real life, though and I have to admit, it is so beautiful. She said it's her workhorse wrap because it can get dirty, spit up on and whatever and still get clean.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page