Soft structured carrier recommendations for a toddler - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have another thread going about how long you can comfortably carry your baby, which has led to this question.

My DS is now 9 months, but big ~around 22 lbs. We use an Ergo every day for front carries when we go out, and back carries when I cook. He's getting too heavy for front carries out and about, and I know I need to start carrying him on my back. However, the Ergo back carry is very low ~has his head at my shoulder blades.

So I'd like a recommendation for a toddler / larger baby soft structured carrier for back carries where he will be a bit higher up. Please tell me what you like about the one you recommend.

BTW we had a Didymos (woven wrap) but sold it because I found it way too fumbly to get on and off. A Mei Tai seems like it doesn't offer enough back and shoulder support, and besides the low back carry I love the Ergo and would like to stay with a soft structured carrier.

Thank you! love.gif

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#2 of 4 Old 03-07-2011, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have an Ergo too, which is getting a bit too small now. I have heard great things about the Boba carrier, and also Baby Hawk Oh Snap. I have no tried either of them, but you might want to look into those.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#3 of 4 Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Honestly, none of the SSCs on the market are going to carry your DS much higher on your back then the Ergo.  They are designed to have the structured waist band sit low, around the top of your hips, so that the baby's weight is transferred to your legs.  You could try wearing the Ergo waist a bit higher, like on your natural waistline.  Some women still find it comfortable there.  But if you are looking to do a true high back carry you will probably need to invest in a mei tai or a woven wrap.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#4 of 4 Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View Post

You could try wearing the Ergo waist a bit higher, like on your natural waistline.  Some women still find it comfortable there.  But if you are looking to do a true high back carry you will probably need to invest in a mei tai or a woven wrap.

Yeah, I was going to suggest this about the Ergo only with the Beco, which has a slightly longer body than the Ergo.  I like wearing toddlers in the Beco with it worn higher.  I also have a Kozy mei tai that I like to wear my 12 month old 19# baby in a high-back carry with.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page