Have you tried these pouches? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-01-2004, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kinda new here and to this whole thing, so please bear with me.

I have seen lots of reviews of the Kangaroo Korner fleece pouches and was all set to order one, but still a bit leary bc we are having a summer baby.

Then we were in TX on vacation and I saw a woman wearing a pouch (not something we see much around here) so I asked her about it and she said hers was made of hemp fleece so is cooler than what all fleece would be. It was by Mom & Me Creations.
I checked out their site, and they look great, but since I'm new at this I thought I'd ask for input since I hadn't heard of it until then.

We only have about 3 months of really warm weather here, but that's exactly when the babe is going to be born and I'm afraid s/he will be too warm and not like it if I go with the all fleece one.

Any input appreciated!

Lucky Mommy to 1 awesome 5 yr old son , 1 strong minded 19 month old baby girl ::, and 1 beloved angel baby
#2 of 6 Old 04-01-2004, 06:11 PM

I beleive you are talking about the Pea in a Pod pouch, correct?

While hemp is a natural fiber, and therefore more breathable than polyester fleece, I'm still not sure you're going to want that for a hot Texas summer.

My DD was born in July, in Boston, and we had a heat wave that August. I used my Maya Wrap cotton pouch and it was perfect. Very breathable and lightweight.

Honestly, I would recommend one of those. In the winter, I simply wore her in that under XL sweaters and I would wear DH's raincoat and I could keep her warm and dry.

I am, however, going to get a fleece pouch for my October baby on the way. I haven't decided yet on a Pea in a Pod or the KKAFP (see my thread here on that subject! - ugh, tough decisions!!!).

If you can afford it, get both. Or, get the cotton Maya Pouch and you can probably sell it when winter comes.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 6 Old 04-01-2004, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Yes I went and checked and it is called Pea in a Pod. Maybe I will find more info if I do a search on that name instead of the Mom & Me Creations.

Also, we were just vacationing in TX, we live in MI.

I have considered a cotton pouch but thought a fleece type adjustable one was better for a new wearer and a newborn?

Lucky Mommy to 1 awesome 5 yr old son , 1 strong minded 19 month old baby girl ::, and 1 beloved angel baby
#4 of 6 Old 04-01-2004, 06:58 PM

I used the KKAFP when my daughter was a newborn and absolutely loved it. Of all the products I've ever tried (and there have been a lot!) I think this one stands out as the easiest to use for a beginner, and the most cozy for a newborn. But I had a winter baby! When summer hit I put the AFP away and moved on.

I've never tried the Pea in a Pod but have heard good things about it overall. However, a friend of mine has this one and the KKAFP and she says they're both too hot for summer. She's in Tennessee.

I second Piglet68 in her recommendation for the Maya pouch. I really love it with my toddler, and highly recommend it to mamas with newborn babes. It's definitely a nice cool option for the summer.

Another good adjustable pouch option would be the Adjustable Cotton Pouch from Kangaroo Korner. It's not quite as comfortable as the fleece, but still a really nice product.

Good luck!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#5 of 6 Old 04-03-2004, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks MamaToFallon. I have considered a cotton pouch instead, but I had heard that the fleece type ones were easier for newbies and more comfy.
Do the cotton ones support newborns enough?

#6 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 03:52 PM

I have one of Jen's pea in a pod pouches! I'm wearing it right now. I'm not a veteran slingin mama, but I love this pouch. I have a sling and a soft carrier too, but the mom & me is my fav. It has plenty of support for a newborn because it is adjustable. I used mine on DS since he was born and he's now 9 1/2 weeks (hey isn't that an old kinky movie? ) I live in So. Cal. so it gets warm here too. I don't plan on using it during the summer... way too warm. HTH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page