baby loves moby, mama does not - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

So I used to love Moby, but now it hurts my back and isn't quite supportive enough. 

I also really liked using the Maya Wrap but I bought it a bit too small and it was always hurting my shoulder (or maybe was it just hurting my shoulder because I cant do a sling?)

I like the simplicity of the Maya and I don't like wearing a wrap style all day since DD is almost 8 mths now and really isn't carried as much as when she was a newbie.

Suggestions?

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#2 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Wow, I can't imagine the Moby still being comfortable anywhere near that long! You've gotten your money's worth from it, I'd think! :)

I'm not quite clear what you're looking for. Have you tried a woven wrap? There are some poppable carries, like with the moby, that you can leave tied and put the baby in and out, but it sounds like maybe you don't want to wear the wrap all day? I can't blame you for that! There are plenty of other carries that you'd tie each time you want to wear your baby. There's a little learning curve, but once you've got it it takes less than 30 seconds to put baby on each time, and you could even wear her on your back for added comfort.

If you want something with easier on/off like the Maya, you might like a soft structured carrier like the Ergobaby, Becco, Boba, Kinderpak, etc. They're all a little different, so it would be ideal if you can find someplace locally to try them on and choose the one that works best for you and your baby.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#3 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Totally got my money's worth smile.gif

I have not tried a woven wrap. There are so many of them. Wear do I even buy one?

I really liked the sling because of the convenience. I am thinking I want a non adjustable sling, but I wonder if that is hard on your body too.

She is also really likes the sitting position in the sling. 

So, ha, I don't really know what I want either!

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#4 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 PM

I use a piece of fabric I bought from the store as my "non-stretchy" wrap.  It's about 25 inches wide and 6.5 yards long.  I love it.  It is still very comfortable, but I just don't use it much anymore.  I bought an Ergo that I love and use much more often.  I don't find ring slings to be very comfortable at all, but I do use them for quick trips in and out of the store.  I also have a homemade pouch (I think that's what it is), like a ring sling, but no ring.  It is more comfortable than the ring sling IMO, but it's obviously not adjustable and only works for my toddler. 

If you go with an Ergo, I believe there is a hip carry position you can do with it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Mama to three

#5 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

woops, forgot to mention that we have an ergo. It is nice, but not as cuddly as a wrap/sling. I like the cuddles and the soft fabric.

#6 of 13 Old 03-14-2011, 01:42 PM

A German Style woven wrap would give you the support the Moby is lacking. Your baby is mature enough that a woven wrap converted into a Mei Tai might be a good alternative.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#7 of 13 Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

where do I get woven wraps?

#8 of 13 Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 PM

i can bring you one and try. I "just" bought a didymos, that's a german style wrap. And you can also try the BB slen that I used. I have a AP hotsling that is easy to pop baby in and  out, and can do hip carriers. 

**trying to figure when we should meet up since it will be raining this week.

Grace

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#9 of 13 Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

where did you get your didymos. That is the brand I like. Or let's be honest, that I think is pretty!

#10 of 13 Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Amazon

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#11 of 13 Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM

IMO (and I've bought a lot of wraps!!!) the best place to buy them is the For Sale or Trade forum on TheBabywearer.  Woven wraps are softer, cuddlier, and easier to use if you buy them used.  Plus they're a lot cheaper!  You can get a size 6/4.6m (the average size to start with) for $80ish, depending on what wrap you want.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#12 of 13 Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post

IMO (and I've bought a lot of wraps!!!) the best place to buy them is the For Sale or Trade forum on TheBabywearer.  Woven wraps are softer, cuddlier, and easier to use if you buy them used.  Plus they're a lot cheaper!  You can get a size 6/4.6m (the average size to start with) for $80ish, depending on what wrap you want.

Totally agree, I would buy from FSOT! The wraps especially are so soft if they are used!

If you are looking for something that is not a wrap and a little easier to use for up and down, check on FSOT and try a mei tai. They are very quick to get on your back and you can find a cheap one to try and see if you like it. Of course if you do like it, you may end up with more than one, lol, there are so many beautiful ones.
My DD loves it and when it's time to make dinner she usually wants up and will pick her own wrap or mei tai and loves the mei tai for some reason at that time of day!

ETA I love, love my woven wraps, though and also bought all of them from FSOT,

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#13 of 13 Old 03-16-2011, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I know too many options can be a pain but, if you want an SSC which is cuddlier than the ergo you might like the Beco Gemini. It holds the babe closer to your body and also wraps more snugly around the baby's body IME. We have both and the ergo seemed... baggy is the best way I can describe it. The Beco molds around her.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page