Need sling help/suggestions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay Mamas, Here is my problem.  I love being able to wear my babies, get stuff done around the house, take them straight from carseat to sling instead of having to carry around that heavy carseat carrier, etc.  However, I can't seem to find the right fit for me in a sling.

I have used the Newnative pouch sling.  I loved that it just slipped right over my head, Hated that it hurt my shoulders and back.  It really put a strain on me and just hurt after 15 mins or so.  Weight isn't evenly distributed or something. 

Next baby, I used a Moby and a mei tai.  I loved the moby (though it was winter so I just wore it under my jacket) because it never hurt my back or neck and baby was super snug and secure.  HATED how bulky all that fabric was and always had it hanging down or a knot was in the front or back.  Just too much fabric and too hot for summer.  Too much of a pain to put on even after you know what you are doing.

Loved the mei tai also. Wasn't too much tying, wasn't too bulky, but not sure if this is best for a newborn.  Baby 4 months when I started using it.  Would it work for newborn? 

Hate ring slings.  Again, I hate that fabric hanging down and same issue as pouch sling, my neck and back hurt after a bit.

I found this sling that looks like a good wrap kind but not all the yards and yards of fabric, but am not sure how it works really.

http://mybabynest.com/Position.html 

Do any of you mamas know of any suggestions for a summer baby, not too much fuss getting on, not too bulky with miles of fabric and one that is good for a newborn who cant support head yet? 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Baby k'tan & TMD buckle tai :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Have you tried a Beco or Ergo?  I have a Beco, which comes with it's own infant insert, and we absolutely love the Beco.  A lot of people like the Ergo with infant insert while a lot of people don't.  I really loved the ring sling when babes were newborns, so I can't help too much there.  You could also go buy some gauze fabric from a fabric store and make your own woven wrap that's reasonably light-weight.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM

The best options for newborns are ring slings, stretchy wraps, and woven wraps.  Those carriers allow the baby to be in the optimal position.  I wouldn't start using a mei tai or a soft structured carrier (ssc) until the baby has good head control, and is a few months old. 

I can see how the pouch hurt your back, because you can't tighten or adjust it, so you can't really get a great fit in one.  I'm surprised the ring sling hurt you though in the newborn period.  Do you have any pictures of how you wore it?  If you wear the baby high enough and tighten the sling enough, it shouldn't hurt until the baby is older and heavier.

The moby is the hottest, thickest stretchy wrap out there.  There are other brands that are much thinner and cooler.  I've heard good things about Anaju (I think it's a bamboo/cotton blend, very thin and breathable) but I haven't tried one.  Stretchy wraps tend to be very very long.  You could get a woven wrap that's shorter, and then you wouldn't feel like you have miles and miles of fabric around you but you could still do the same carries.

I haven't heard of the baby carrier you linked, but to be honest, I don't really like the look of it.  It looks impossible to tighten precisely.  Then you wind up with a baby who is sagging too low to be safe for the baby or comfortable for you.  Like, look how the baby is on the dad in the tummy to tummy carry.  A baby, especially a newborn, should be high enough up on your chest that you can kiss them.  I also don't like that the company shows EXTREMELY unsafe carrying options, like that back carry.  That back carry is frankly terrifying.  A back carry is absolutely never ever safe in a stretchy wrap.  Just that they even show it makes me think that they don't really know about babywearing safety, and if they don't understand babywearing safety, how can they make sure that their product is safe?

I realize I basically shot down all your ideas here, and I'm sorry I don't have better advice!  I think in your shoes I would either try again with a ring sling, or get a thin, cool woven wrap (which would then last until toddlerhood, plus allow you to do back carries).

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
Old 03-14-2011, 01:10 PM

If a ring sling is hurting your neck, you likely either have the wrong shoulder for you or the sling is not positioned properly, or both.  With a ring sling, the sling should cap your shoulder and shouldn't be near your neck to hurt or pull at it.  And the fabric should be spread open across your back, distributing the weight evenly. 

And as far as all of the fabric hanging down, you can either have a shorter sling made so that you don't have so much fabric, or, you can wrap the fabric up around the rings (which is what I do sometimes.)

Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Here is a link to local babywearing groups.There is a group in Chicago.

I would suggest you connect with them I am sure they can help you find the right carrier for you and your baby.

http://www.sakurabloom.com/pages/Find-A-Babywearing-Group-Near-You.html 

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

User Tag List