Best sling for a newborn (or other carrier)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am pregnant and I am going to be wearing my baby pretty much 24/7.  So, I am wondering what specific baby carrier worked best for you?  I have heard slings are best for newborns so I will probably go with that.  I have a Hotsling(not the pouch style), and a Mai Tai by Togetherbe.  I am perfectly willing to buy a new sling or whatever, I just want to know what worked best for everyone because I did not wear my toddler as a newborn.

Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At first, the amount of fabric was overwhelming but I really loved my Moby wrap. I just put it on and could pop her in and out all day, it was very snuggly.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#3 of 7 Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 AM

You might attend a baby wearing meeting near you to help you determine what best works for you.

Here is a link to a listing of baby wearing groups. If you can not find a group local to you. Check with your local Le Leche group they may offer baby wearing helps.

http://www.sakurabloom.com/pages/Find-A-Babywearing-Group-Near-You.html 

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#4 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM

I second the Moby suggestion--or  a Sleepy Wrap, which is very similar.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#5 of 7 Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ha thats my problem, I live in a super secluded part of Montana.  It is also very conservative here.  There are no baby wearers around here period, and no Le Leche groups, because hardly anyone BFs(except me lol).  Thanks though:)   If anyone has anymore suggestions, please let me know!

#6 of 7 Old 03-26-2011, 04:00 PM

I loved the pouch sling for the itty baby days. If you choose to use yours be aware, like with all devices, there are safe ways and not safe ways to use it. I also really, really liked the Moby Wrap and wore it a lot in/around the house and the pouch sling outside the house because it was just easier. The more I practiced the faster I got wrapping the Moby Wrap and eventually that became my full time baby wearing device. I found the weight distribution of the pouch sling to be poor and painful once my daughter got to the stage where she could sit-up. This time around I have those two a Boba and Ergo as well. I plan on getting an infant insert for the Ergo. I don't use the Boba all that often because it's too bulky for my frame, the Ergo just fits me better. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#7 of 7 Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 PM

I loved hotslings for my toddler before I got preg.  But DS is a big baby and I still have 15+lbs pregnancy weight, so he doesn't really fit in my hotslings already at 6 weeks.  A bigger one would probably work better but not gonna buy another one.  (This will motivate me to lose my baby weight sooner....)  I LOVED Ergo with my toddler.  Ergo didn't work out at all, so Ergo is back in the closet until DS gets bigger.  I hated moby with my toddler when she was a baby.  I just didn't get it, so she was dangling by my crotch lol!  This time around, I watched many many you tube instructions on it and it just clicked!  I LOVE moby for my DS!!!  Very supportive for DS, comfortable for mommy, easy to nurse in, etc.

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page