Favorite Mei Tai? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a New Native pouch sling and a Baby Bjorn leftover from baby #1 (who's about to turn 3).  I think the NN is a size too large for me - I wore my little one in it ALL the time (the only place she would ever nap) and it eventually KILLED my back and the fabric never seemed to adjust properly on my shoulder.  The Bjorn was fine, but not versatile & as she got bigger it was hard to do anything that required me to see right in front of me (like cooking or washing dishes) while she was in it.

I am considering adding a ring sling (Sleeping Baby Productions) and a Mei Tai carrier for baby #2 (due in November).  I have been reading about Kozy, BabyHawk & Freehand on TheBabyWearer.com, and am having a hard time deciding without seeing them in person (which I think will be impossible in the area where I live).  I am petite, and expect baby will be, too.  It seemed like some users of Kozy felt it was too large for a petite frame, but they don't look any wider in the photos.  Does anyone have experience with all or some of these carriers to advise which might be best?  I like that they all have the option of being worn 3 ways & in theory, I like the idea of a pocket, though I can't decide if it's something I'd actually end up using a lot.  The Freehand does not look like it provides much newborn head support.

#2 of 4 Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 AM

I am also a small mama (with a back that loves to act up) and i absolutely swear by the Babyhawk! So, so easy to use, and my back never ever bothered me when i used it for the front carry...it was amazing! I couldn't use it for a back carry, though. The straps felt like they would slip off my shoulders. I tried tying them together across my chest, but it never felt good to me. Actually, i never did find a super comfy back carry with any carrier...so maybe that's just me, or by then baby was just too heavy for my back to feel comfortable, i don't know. But the Babyhawk was perfect for the front carry....especially after baby is a couple of months old and the legs fit out the sides. Loved it!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM

I heard that the napsack is really comfortable and it is very adjustable because the straps are not bulky, they're more like a wrap.
http://www.attachedtobaby.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=212&CategoryId=4
Sometimes the straps just feel too bulky and slide off my shoulders because I am also petite and I have a wrap conversion that is great because of the wrap straps being supportive without being bulky.
I love it with a back carry and that is the only way for me to make dinner lately since DD has decided that is now her cranky time of day and wants to be worn the wholetime!
Some sites have rentals and you can try different kinds. http://www.granolababies.com/rent-a-sling/cat_73.html has the Kozy and Babyhawk
I totally love the convenience of a mei tai for back carries even though I love wrapping too. It's so fast to just get them up and get going.
For head support I think mostly you can just pull it up to support them.

Good luck with your new LO!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#4 of 4 Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 PM

love my Natural Mother Mei Tai http://www.naturalmotherproductions.blogspot.com/. They are hand made by a lovely mom of 6!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page