Hug-a-bub anyone??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-02-2004, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These look pretty cool! They are pricey, but I think they may be worth it...http://www.cottoncradles.com/hugabub.htm

They state that anyone can fit into it from small to an extra large man. I'm rather large right now and this really looks like it would not pull down on my shoulders,also, giving me more backpain!

Does anyone own one that could give me any insight on this?
Like, how easy is it to set up for use with a NB? For breastfeeding? Do you put this on first,then insert your baby like most slings?

These seem to look like they keep your baby at a position that would'nt hurt the back, I really would like to try it out!

TIA,
~Rachel
#2 of 6 Old 04-02-2004, 12:14 PM

I have been using a hug-a-bub for the past few weeks, and I really, really like it! I am a big sling fan, and this carrier is so wonderful because it carries the weight equally across the back and is a truly hands-free carrier.

I got mine from TotsandBottoms.com

I haven't used mine w/ a newborn, nor have I breastfed with baby in my hug-a-bub....but I watched the how-to video that comes w/ the hug-a-bub, and it looks very do-able, to nurse a little baby in the sling.

The hug-a-bub holds baby facing out or facing in, and there's a 'peapod' hold for younger babies (maybe my 8 month old could be in this hold, but I haven't tried it...seems like it's for younger babes to me) in which the sling is on the wearer in the over-both-shoulders way, but the fabric on one side is folded such that it makes a little peapod/sling-like pocket. It looks like a perfect newborn hold.

Putting baby in and out of the hug-a-bub is a little different than most slings, where you just plop baby in--baby's legs go on either side of an "X" of fabric...when the hug-a-bub is wrapped on, the fabric crosses to make an "X" on the chest, and baby's crotch goes in the "X". Then, the hug-a-bub pocket-y thing goes OVER that, for added security & cuddliness.

I like it because it's truly hands-free, and wearing my 8 1/2 month old (approx. 18 lbs) is not tiring at all...in fact, the first time I wore him in it I forgot for a moment he was ON me! The hug-a-bub is long, so I think it would fit a wide range of sizes.v

I think it's kinda pricey, too, but the look of the sling is chic and sleeck when it's on (and a sling is basically a piece of clothing to babywearers!) and it's not bulky to pack in a diaper bag. The thick, quality cotton jersey is lucious, and the sewing is flawless--I think it'd be hard to make anything as nice as this product. It's easy to wash and dry. Plus, it's imported, which adds to the cost...and the coolness!

HTH
#3 of 6 Old 04-02-2004, 12:46 PM

I think the Hug-a-Bub is a fantastic carrier! Very easy on the back, super versatile, and great for different ages of babies. I still use mine with my 16 month old. I never had it when she was first born, but I plan on using this style a lot with my next baby. You can put it on and wear it almost like a t-shirt - just popping baby in and out all day as needed.

The instructional video that comes with the HaB is also quite good. It shows how you can do multiple positions with the one tying method.

And Lisa at Cotton Cradles is amazing, so I'm sure you'll have a wonderful customer experience purchasing from her!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#4 of 6 Old 04-02-2004, 01:15 PM

As I have done in the past, I will now go on and on and on about how much I love the hug a bub. It saved my sanity! My baby was colicky and had feflux, he has spent the majority of his first four months in this thing. I have done laundry, dishes and cooked dinner with him in it. It is truly hands free. I cannot explain my absolute love for it. I am actually planning on having professional photos of him in it because that is how I will always remember him, in his hug a bub.

I don't know how long I will use it, but I know that right now, we use it a lot. Soccer games, ball games, grocery store, shopping, dinner out, oh I could go on and on and on. Oh wait, I have .
#5 of 6 Old 04-03-2004, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Wow ladies!!!
Thanks so much!!! I will be getting this,lol

I was hoping to hear great raves and did! I'm so excited I cannot wait!!!!!

Thanks again,
~Rachel
#6 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Just to add my .02--I love mine too but I wish I had gotten the larger size. I am 225lbs, 5'4", about a size 20. And it fit fine when I first got it, but it shrank a little in the wash and wouldn't tie around my giant hips very well after that. I would LOVE to trade mine for a larger one...anyone, anyone?? Or else I have to lose weight LOL!!!

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page