Mothering Forum banner

Who just doesn't like Maya fabric?

1K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  Tupelo Honey 
#1 ·
I find the Maya fabric so.... gosh.... ugly? Crunchy? Granola? Blehhh.

Anyone else? I like the style of the Maya (although as a left-shoulder slinger I find it annoying at times) but the fabric choices just don't give me any joy

Am I the only one??

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't particularly care for them. I just prefer a solid, neutral color so it will match with anything. Besides, I have a pretty colorful print diaper bag, so I can't have a sling clashing with it! :LOL
(Although I do secretly lust after a silk print Zolo!)

#11 ·
My beef with the Maya isn't the color - - I got the solid black, which suits me well - - but that darn tail. It's so long and I'm always trying to find creative ways of tucking that tail in. Lately it's a "collar" around dd's neck.

#16 ·
I thought I wouldnt like the fabrics either and I totally wasnt diggin my first Maya carrier and sold it. But I gave it a try again and decided the fabric was too soft to pass up and the wider shoudler of the L-XL fits me better now! I have a #37 (bright print) headed my way. I make my slings in solid and natural colors so every once in awhile I now will have a bright funky print to live'n up my wardrobe.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucysmama
: I'm confused...they do have neutral colors. They have natural, black, and color grown fabrics that are very muted and classic.

So don't let not liking the Guatamalan fabric hold you back...there are neutral options, too!!
How about pretty fabric? Like asian prints or retro prints? Or something FUN?

#19 ·
I think mine is a #37, and while I considered a color-grown neutral, I figured what the heck and got a superbright one. I wear mostly black and neutral colors myself, so this is the most color I usually wear in a day. I get a bazillion compliments everytime I wear my baby, and since I live in a location that can use a little "natural parenting" activism (Huggies are made here), I don't mind the attention it draws.

I'd like something in khaki for the odd occasion, but I don't want to spend my $$ on something I don't really need. I'm kind of miserly.

#20 ·
I also have the plain Olive green one. I love it. It's neutral enough, but still is interesting. I get a lot of jealous questions about it. "Is that a Maya? Where did you find it? I want a plain one!"

I probably wouldn't have gone for the Maya had I not found this one. I'm not real into the patterns.

#21 ·
Yeah, it comes in several solids: natural, olive, indigo blue, denim blue, black, purple, colorgrown khaki. There are also some non-Guatey looking stripes. My current fave is a beautiful, true red with narrow lilac, green, and butter yellow stripes lengthwise. I love it! It's very pretty.

I also love the weight and feel of the woven fabric. One thing to understand is that it gets softer and more luxurious with wear and washing.

As far as the long tail, I don't like a long tail so I wear a small MW. The only difference in any of the MW sizes is length--they are all the same width. I'm not a particularly small person at 5'3 and 155 lbs (ugh!), but the small tail hits at my hip which is plenty long for me.

#24 ·
I don't know what it is...I use my pouches and kozy, no problem, but I just don't have the touch of the maya. When I try and pull the fabric to tighten it, it just bunches up instead of stretching out...does that make sense?

I'd love to get real-life help - unfortunately LLL meets durign the day here & I'm a WOHM.

We have a baby & toddler expo coming to our convention center next weekend...last year there was a sling vendor there
I'm hoping she's there again to help me troubleshoot in person.

#25 ·
Is there an API chapter in your area? That's another good place to look for help. I wonder if anyone at thebabywearer.com lives in your area? It seems like I have seen some PA moms over there. Here are a couple of pointers that may help. Both are crucial and a lot of people overlook them:

1. Make sure you flip the shoulder flap (that top flap that isn't sewn to the rest) over BEFORE threading your sling. This gives you an edge of fabric on each side rather than both on the same side. If you wear your MW on the right shoulder, the flipped over edge should be the bottom rail of your sling, vice-versa for the left shoulder. Does that make sense?

2. Once your sling is threaded, grab the two outer edges of the fabric in the tail right up by the rings and pull them away from each other. This is very helpful in smoothing out the fabric in the rings so it adjusts easily. The edges of the fabric really need to be at the outer edges of the tail.

Oh, and one more. Make sure you are supporting the baby's weight with your other arm when you try to adjust. Otherwise, the weight is locking the rings together making it almost impossible for the fabric to slide through. Also, don't have the sling much looser than you need it to be before putting baby in. It's easiest if you have the depth of the pouch about right, then just pull at the edges of the tail to tighten and adjust.

HTH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.