Just got my Ellaroo wrap . . .UPDATE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-02-2004, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and I changed my mind. I think I like it! I've been told that even the Didy can be scratchy at first, so I do trust that the fabric will soften up. I'm thinkin' it'll be the spring/summer wrap, and down the line I'll consider a heavier one.

Thanks to all for the very helpful information!

Oh, and for anyone scared of a wrap sling . . .I could never get my Maya ring sling right, and I got the wrap on right with a few tries! Very comfy!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-02-2004, 06:31 PM

I'm thinking about getting an ellaroo (also thinking about selling it in my online store), so I'd be interested in what others think.
I heard the fabric gets softer the more you wash it. Is that true? I would be using it for my newborn, so scratchy fabric would definitely be a problem.
#3 of 8 Old 04-02-2004, 07:30 PM

Well I'm still undecided over the Ellaroo and the Girasol so I contacted the site that sells them with my questions. Among other things they said that the Girasol was quite a bit softer than the Ellaroo but that they both soften up with repeated washings. As to your second question I don't know what the working conditions are nor how the fabric is made. What about contacting the site you bought it from? They would probably know. HTH
#4 of 8 Old 04-02-2004, 10:16 PM

Yes, the fabric definitely does get softer with wear/washings. This is actually true of all the woven wraps I've ever seen. I bought a gently used Girasol and it was *so* much softer than the new ones! It was funny, because I joked that I would have actually paid someone to break it in like that for me. All the EllaRoo fabrics feel the same, so there wouldn't be any difference between your LaRae and the other colourways.

The EllaRoo wraps are handwoven in Guatemala using fair labour practices. I can dig up more details and get back to you with a more specific response later.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#5 of 8 Old 04-03-2004, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your responses! I'm thinking of returning the Ellaroo anyway . . .as pretty as it is, I think I'd like a Girasol more.

As much as I like Internet shopping, it can be challenging!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#6 of 8 Old 04-03-2004, 10:48 AM

Mizelenius, I think it's ok to talk about it here to gather more information and opinions, and post to the review board when you've had it a while and made your final assessment.

I *highly* recommend you direct questions to Vesta over at Peppermint.com. She has a lot of information about the EllaRoo and can give you the facts.

Now you know I am an EllaRoo fan, but I have never tried the Girasol. Mine are soft and wonderful.

Ok, gotta fly.

xoxo pam
#7 of 8 Old 04-03-2004, 12:42 PM

Just chiming back in to respond to the question about where/how the EllaRoos are made. I wanted to check my facts with Vesta before getting too detailed...

The EllaRoo Wraps are hand woven by a cooperative
of weavers in Guatemala. Vesta places orders through her contact, who then buys the thread and distributes it to available weavers. The contact then collects the wraps and packages them for delivery back to EllaRoo. Threads are all dyed without toxins or heavy metals. Vesta is working on getting pictures of the process, which will be posted on the EllaRoo site.

I hope that helps clear things up for you!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#8 of 8 Old 04-03-2004, 02:35 PM

Oh, I am not a huge wrap user but I love the Ellaroo! I like the lighter weight. The one I've played with is broken in so it seems soft to me. The older ones were narrower and had a more textured, heavier woven feel. I live where it's hot so I really like the lighter weight and the wider width is better for back carries.

I hope you find a wrap you like! You might want to check the FSOT board at thebabywearer.com. Someone may trade you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page