Enter to WIN One of Three Beco Baby Carriers! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We would love to have a carrier!  We have an ergo and my husband and I have both loved carrying our daughter.  We just got a referral for our daughter in China who we hope to bring home in the next few months.  I was thinking about looking at the Beco since my neighbor loves hers.  The cool designs might be a great way to bring more dads on board with it too.  And certainly if the ads contained more images of men with their babies that would help matters.  My husband loves the positive attention he gets from others when they see him carrying her around.

Lisa

Mama to Kate, 14 months and waiting for Lucy in China, 15 months.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

a cool print is sure to win over any dad, plus, baby wearing is sexy!

Banned

My hubby would love this! We already think beco is the best for dads because the wrap just seems to work better with my curves but he wears both kids in our becos.  I think lots of exposure, good prints, and maybe some celebritidaddies out there being gifted one/wearing them would help. 

Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 PM

I would love to wear my new baby in this carrier & I had no problem with my boyfriend wearing our first baby, he didn't want to let him go!!

We would love one of these.  Pick me pick me.   My husband would like more guy designs.  He did like the skull and crossbones pattern. 

I would love a Beco!  An SSC would be a big help and encourage my H to wear her more often. We looked at the Gemini but now that I SAH we can't afford a new carrier.

He loves the closeness she gets with him when we're out and about. He also likes having his arms free and her head close enough to kiss. Unfortunately, he only feels comfortable with the Bjorn (it was gifted) so I don't let him wear her that often.

I think men would be more apt to babywear if there were more masculine prints or solid color choices. H has said quite a few times that he will not wear her in anything feminine patterned. I think we also need to see more celebrity men wearing babies. I know Neil Patrick Harris has been seen wearing his baby in a Moby but we haven't seen enough men babywear yet!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM

I would love to win one of these, I wear my baby all the time, and you don't see too many Beco's around here.  I would love to use one and spread the word about them!!

I think just seeing more men wearing their babies would get men on board.  For sure in advertising, like with men hiking, at the zoo, mowing the lawn (!?), I don't know just doing stuff while wearing their baby lol I know my husband likes to wear our son while out in the yard working.

Beco Baby Carrier enter me in your contest!  It would be a great turn around to win one of these for me. 

I think men would like some manly style in order to wear baby carriers more, mabye make some carriers with some manly themes on them. 

I would LOVE to win a BECO too!! My husband will wear baby on his back, I think more men need to!!

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 PM

would love one!  dh was convinced by the fact that we could again go hiking!

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.

I would love to add a BECO to my baby wearing collection and I'm sure my hubby would love to try it too!  For him a big part of babywearing is the wonderful bonding opportunity it creates from the time the baby is a newborn all through the toddler and early preschool years.  He loves it!  He usually wears and Ergo but has been interested in the BECO for a while so it would be a special gift for him for sure!

I would love to win these BECO baby carriers. I think more men would wear baby carriers if they came in more masculine designs and/even have way to have sports emblems on them. 

Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM

I would love to have one of these carriers!! To get a man to babywear, simply tell him that the ladies love it, and will think he's hot...He won't be able to resist the potential ego boost! smile.gif
Michelle in Atlanta

Wildflowers
Momma to 2 volunteers, 03/2005 and 05/2010
Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM

I would love a Beco!

As for men, my husband is very broad-shouldered and most carriers don't fit him. So maybe larger men's sizes??

Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM

I have always wanted one! They look very handy and comfortable for your kiddo.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM

I would love to own a Beco, and winning one would be even better! I don't have much advice for Dads babywearing b/c my husband was all for it for the short time we were able to babywear our 1st (until he got back-breakingly heavy). Hoping we'll do more with our 2nd (on the way).

Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 PM

This would be a perfect carrier for our family, it's much more GN than mine ;) 

One of the greatest ways to encourage men to babywear, IMO, is by showing them other babywearing men! My DH loves seeing other daddies out and about wearing their babies. I also think it's awesome to see!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 PM

I would *love* one of these carriers.

I think more men would wear carriers if they were a bit easier for two people to use the same one - so perhaps some sort of interchangeable body that goes on relatively inexpensive straps that can be more custom tailored? Something where it wouldn't take very long to switch between bodies that fit mom and dad to a t!  This might eliminate or at least lessen frustration due to not using the carrier very often (which can happen if the device needs to be highly adjusted between users and uses). (I'm lucky, though - dh loves wearing our kid!)

Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 PM

I would love one!! I am still using a Beco for my 19 month old, very heavy child.  It saves my life by making everything so convenient, and freeing my hands to help my older girl, and it saves my back and shoulders too!  My husband would use it if I hadn't bought one that had flowers on it - he thinks it is too girly.  Hopefully I'll win one with a more masculine fabric!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 PM

My partner needs this! He insists on carrying our daughter wherever we go. Shortly after our daughter was born, I shared a great article on baby wearing that was published in Mothering. He was sold!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Oh, I would be so happy to win this!

To encourage men I think two things would help: more men in the advertisements and easy adjustability so it's simple to switch between parents.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM

I would love to have this carrier. My son's grandfather could more easily carry and bond this way. It can be difficult for grandparents to carry young kids comfortably, but your carrier would make it easier on their joints and safer!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM

I would love one of these! I made my DH a ringsling with guitar phrases all over it. I think if the carriers came in 'manly' prints, fabrics, etc men might be more inclined to participate in the joy of babywearing!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a new Beco Butterfly 2 for both me and my significant other! We had an older Beco with our first 2 that I lovingly passed on to a dear friend right before finding out we were pregnant with the 3rd baby girl! Daddy would love to carry his daughters with something that is easy to use, such as a Beco. An idea he had for helping to promote more men to wear, is to have a cover with his favorite football team to put over the girly or baby designs that most carriers come in. He's not into flowers or butterflies just like he's not into boats and trucks (like most little boy prints have). If there was a Dallas Cowboy logo on there, he would find ANY excuse to wear our baby!! LOL...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM

Of course, we would love to own a Beco too!! A couple of my new mama friends just got Becos for their babies, and love them.

I agree, that colors and patterns that won't make Daddies blush are great, and ease of use is big for my husband. He hates multitudes of straps and maneuevers needed with some carriers. Summer time will certainly bring more opportunities for my son and daddy to hang out outside- I love the idea of babywearing while grilling!

I would be too excited to win one of these!  

I think one of the keys to get men to babywear is to make the carrier look "cool," which often means more of a techy feel than what is available in most carriers.  My husband would wear our son in the Baby Bjorn and in a Kelty Kids backpack.  Also, my husband tends to prefer solids to prints and is more likely to use something if it is black or in a distant second, navy blue.  However, since I like the prints and prefer bright colors, we have a conflict and it costs more than we can afford to buy each carrier in two colors...maybe there's a way to make a reversible one?  He would also like more interesting/masculine styling.  He suggests brushed aluminum clips/clasps (or better yet, titanium), some silver piping and a fabric that looks like carbon fiber rather than canvas.  It would also be nice to have a way to mark each parent's "setting" on a carrier.  We have a Boba, which I like, but had I realized the harness in the Butterfly to aid in back carrying, I would have bought that one instead...I went with the print I preferred because I didn't realize this advantage.  The main issue I have with the Boba is that I need to have it perfectly adjusted in order for our son's weight to be distributed such that it does not strain my shoulders...this is a feat I have only been able to accomplish once since it needs to be loosened each time to get my son on my back (though to be fair, I haven't really gotten into it because I live in Michigan and I bought the carrier in February and I don't have a baby wearing coat, so perhaps I need more practice, but I digress...)  My point is that I'm reluctant to have my husband use the Boba because I don't want him to mess up the adjustments that can be left in place.  So, if there were a way to easily mark your settings, without permanently altering the carrier, it would be handy.  Also, perhaps a pocket large enough for a diaper and some wipes (if you think it's hard to get a man to babywear, imagine how hard it is to get a man to babywear and tote around a diaper bag, which limits mobility on daddy-baby outings.

I think the short term fix is certainly trying to make babywearing meet our society's standards of what masculinity is, ie. the patterns, colors, features.  However I think the long term fix is changing how our society view's a father's role in parenting.   I think we need to change the idea that wearing a baby is somehow a maternal thing, and also even that for a man to like something it has to be camouflaged.  It probably starts with teaching our sons from a young age that there are no such thing as manly colors or girly colors.. that there is no such thing as something a man shouldn't do -- like carry a baby around in a carrier.   Reading all these posts has made me really thankful to have a partner who doesn't believe in gender rules like that. I think how you grow up makes a big difference, because his mom is from Korea, where it was very normal to wear a baby all the time.  He also doesn't have any of those preconceptions about colors or patterns.  I think as moms, its important we teach our sons that these taboos are just that.. taboos.

I also thought it was a really good idea, that a previous poster had, to emphasize how great babywearing is for helping a dad bond with the baby.  Also just more education overall about how beneficial it is for the baby.  Overall we just really need to get away from these stupid cultural stigmas about what is manly and what isn't.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 PM

Becos are the best!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM

I would love one!

To get more men to babywear, I would advertise in men's magazines!

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM

We would love one of these carriers.  I've been researching them and you guys have a fantastic reputation.

I think the visual images of men carrying babies have the most impact.  But the ease of use factor is a must once you get them through the door...adjustability is huge.  If it isn't comfortable, it isn't going to happen.

Tags
Beco Baby Carrier , Beco Butterfly Ii Carrier
User Tag List