Maya Wrap hurts my hip - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I had an unpadded version of the Maya wrap, but I just passed it along as it was hurting my hip and sciatic every time I carried my itty bitty dd in it. Ok, so she's about 18 lbs, but that's not too big for a sling right?

Now, all I have is an ergo, and I don't like it. I miss the sling. I bought it a bit too small for my body. Could it be that a bigger size would be more supportive? Would a padded sling help me better? (Since it was an unpadded)

Do you have a sling you love and it is very supportive??? I love the sling!!

I don't have to have a maya, but that is more along the lines of affordability.

Thanks babywearers!

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#2 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 03:22 AM

The maya wrap was so uncomfortable for me I returned mine.  That big ring just dug into my shoulder no matter what I tried. I love my padded ring sling I have a baby baloba, my # 3 newbie likes it so far and I used it into toddlerhood with her big bros. This time I am also trying a Mei Tei (babyhawk) that has padded straps. Not here yet though so can't speak to comfort so far...the baby bjorn was never that comfortable for me (always was too high up on my back and I found it hard to adjust) and the hip hammock was ok but dug into my hip. I had a hotsling with my second that was beautiful but not very comfortable (no padding) and not adustable so we could never get it quite right and wound up almost never wearing it.  A lot of people around here have the ergo and swear by it but I just hate the way it looks hence trying the mei tei. Hth....

#3 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 AM

You might try sleeping baby productions ring slings.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#4 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Perhaps a New Native pouch or sling (no ring though)? I was going to suggest Kangaroo Korner but I am not sure if they went out of business (?). I do have one of their fleece pouches and it is the most comfortable sling! It is hot for summer though but I like it fall through spring.

My son is about 24 lbs and he does well in the pouch so long as it is high and snug to my body. I do also use the padded Maya Wrap sometimes, it is so easy to pop him in and out of. Other than that I have been using our Scootababy still in hip carry. I am not sure what to suggest regarding your sciatic concern, I really am unsure of what would be best for you. I wish I could be of more help.

#5 of 6 Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 PM

The most supportive ring slings I've tried have been ring slings made from woven wraps.  Sleeping Baby Productions is a great place to buy them new, and the For Sale or Trade section of The Babywearer forums is a great place to buy used (any headline with SBP in the title is probably a slingified wrap).

That said, I can't wear my DD in any one-shoulder carrier for more than like 45 minutes without feeling like my whole spine is being pulled out of whack.  Do you really want to do hip carries, or would you mind a back carry?  Back carries are a million times more comfortable for me.  I find woven wraps most comfortable for back carries.  And actually, if you get a long woven wrap, you'll be able to do much more supportive hip carries (more layers of fabric pressing the baby against your core and distributing the weight) than you can do in a ring sling.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#6 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! I just got SBP sling and am hoping it works out better for me. Best wishes and thanks for the great advice.

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page