Babywearing while pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently 6weeks pregnant and DS is going to be 2 at the end of April. He still enjoys being worn back carry in the Ergo while we are out grocery shopping and such. Wearing him makes shopping trips quicker and much more pleasant for both of us. I'm 5'1 and DS is pretty tiny- 30ish inches and 25 pounds, so I can still carry him very comfortably.

I'm wondering how far into pregnancy have other Mamas been able to wear their toddler/baby? Any tips or suggestions? 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#2 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM

I know some mamas have been able to carry the whole pregnancy.  The waist belt han help support your growing belly.  You can also wear a wrap, or high back carry with a MT to avoid your belly...what ever is comfy for you.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#3 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Ergo told me to check with my doctor. Boba said their carriers are safe to be worn for as long as the mom is comfortable. Other than that I have no advice and will be watching this thread. I am almost 11 weeks pregnant and our youngest is almost 22 months.

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#4 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM

I wore my son in an Ergo on my back until the end of my pregnancy. I bought the extended belt so it would sit under my belly. After ds2 was born I would occasionally wear ds1 on my back and ds2 on my front ;)

#5 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 AM

im 20 weeks and just wore my 22 month old on my back in the ergo while i grocery shopped...sure people looked at me funny but its comfy still so i go ahead.

she is 22lbs and I am 5'1 and currently 116bs

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

#6 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 10:47 AM

I wore my two+ year old when I was pregnant with our second.  The belly never posed a problem because the relaxin/pelvic ligament stretch became my problem.  As accustomed as I was to lugging around my near 30lb kid one day in my 5th month it became no longer possible.  I lifted something too heavy (not my son, a bag of soil that was LIGHTER than my son) and that was the end of that. 

Please be careful, especially near the mid point of your second trimester.  You are told not to lift heavy things for a reason.  I am a landscaper, regularly lifting (and lifting properly) is something I do all the time.  Over a year and a half later I still notice some discomfort from that day (a wee ache, nothing disabling), which I am told by my doctor will likely not be gone for at least another year.

#7 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 AM

I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant and still wear my 11 month old daughter!  I agree, the ergo makes trips much quicker and easier!  My sister is at 39 weeks, and about 4 weeks ago she wore my 28 lb nephew on her hip with the Ergo and had no problems!

I think as long as you're not at a risk for miscarriage or have restrictions and as long as you're comfortable, I say go for it!

#8 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 AM

I think I last wore my 30 lb two year old in my OhSnap (soft structured carrier, like an Ergo) at 32 weeks. The belt fit under my belly on my hips and it was comfortable for the half mile walk home from preschool (after a blizzard). I got him on my back in a wrap at 34 weeks. I have not tried carrying him lately since we are working on walking places to get ready for the new baby.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#9 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM

My kids are 19 months apart.  I wore my daughter in a sling ring pretty regularly until i was about 5-6 months pregnant.  then i started having sciatic nerve pain.  my midwife told me to go to the chiropractor, who said carrying on only one side was the cause of the problem.  the stretchy ligaments we have when pregnant make it easy for the spine and pelvic bones to become misaligned.  if this problem isn't fixed with chiropractic, it results in a LOT of pain and could possibly lead to the baby not being in the right position, and a harder birth.  luckily, after a few visits the pain was gone!  all the pregnancy websites that talk about sciatic nerve pain during pregnancy say it will only get worse and there is nothing you can do about it.  but that is a big lie!  so, my advice is to be sure you wear your toddler on different sides while pregnant!

#10 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 12:25 PM

I'm in exactly the same size as you, as is my son  (5'1" and my son is 25 lbs and just turned 2 a couple days ago) and I just hiked 2 1/2 miles with him in the Ergo at 7 months pregnant the other day.  I was very comfortable, which surprised me, but very sore the next day.  Guess I should do it more often:)  I just had the waist belt under my belly, which you probably don't have much of at 6 weeks.  I wore him all the time when I was that early on in my pregnancy.  Have fun.  

GreenGranolaMama likes this.
#11 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM

I wore throughout my last pregnancy. For me, the trick was to use a woven wrap tied tibetan (nothing around belly) or a mei tai tied above my belly. The wrap was best.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#12 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Oh, and I'm a physical therapist in a nursing home, so I lift at my job all the time with no problem.  As long as you listen to your body and quit if it's uncomfortable, you should be fine.

#13 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 PM

I was probably about 30 weeks along when I had to stop wearing my toddler. At 30 lbs., it became too much on my lower back to carry him for shopping trips. I most commonly wore him on my back or on my hip in a wrap. Another mom I know was able to comfortably wear her toddler (who is about 5-10 lbs lighter than my DS) for a day at the market in an Ergo at 32 or so weeks. She said she had no problems that day, but that she had some contractions when she returned.

I think there are a lot of factors to consider if it is something you are going to do including comfort, weight of toddler, fitness level, and any potential risks or complications in your pregnancy. A back carry in a soft-structured carrier is likely to be the most comfortable and supportive.

#14 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I'm 14 weeks and still carrying my 26 month old, 32 pounder in a back carry with the Ergo.  A friend in my first ddc wore her toddler son throughout her pregnancy, mostly in a high, wrap back carry, and now she wears both!

On the side subject of lifting ... I have to do lots of lifting at work several types a day in a variety of conditions and environments (250 lb max with one other partner before we can get help) and did okay with the lifts until about 27 weeks last time.  I'm hoping to make it to 32 weeks this time!  We'll see.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#15 of 17 Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM

I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and wear our 10 month old in the ergo all the time!  She is a little over 20 lbs.  It hasn't been a problem at all.  Actually, it's far easier to carry her on my back than in my arms!  I'm planning on continuing to carry both of them as long as I can.

#16 of 17 Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wore DD1 until the very end (39 weeks) in my Ergo on my back (mostly to vacuum and short trips). 

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#17 of 17 Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice Mamas : ) babywearing is such a huge part of my relationship with DS, glad we can keep it up with number 2 on the way!!! 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page