Patapum opinions for first-time baby wearer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My local crunchy parenting store is clearancing Patapum carriers for $40! The owner said they just don't seem to sell well in the US for whatever reason. She said they are almost identical to the Ergo except perhaps a bit stiffer.

For that price, I don't see how I can go wrong buying one, but because this is my first baby I was just wondering if anyone would weigh in. Before I saw these I was thinking I would go with an Action Baby Carrier once my baby graduates from a Moby. The only hitch with the Patapum seems to be that they are sized--I would get the baby one to start but I'd rather not have to buy another carrier when she outgrows it.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Patapum are great carriers!  I think you will be fine with the baby size for quite a while. 

I see that you planning on a moby...which I love for newborns!  But, since it's almost summer you may want to consider a lighter weight wrap, like wrapsody, or a thinner linen blend.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#3 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I was worried about the Moby in summer, too, but when I tried it on in the store it really didn't feel too heavy to me. She did suggest the wrapsody but for the price I think I'd like to try the Moby and see how it goes, and then once I get used to wrapping upgrade to something else. The owner said her baby was born the day after my due date and she never had a problem with the Moby--just wore a nursing tank underneath.

I think I will go ahead and get the Patapum--for $40 it's hard to go wrong. But still would welcome any reviews/opinions.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM

I had a patapum, it's a great carrier. Very comfy with my dd who was about 25 pounds at that point. I didn't have a hood with mine, that would have been nice.

My dd was born May 21 and it was too hot (80's) here to wear her in the moby even inside with the AC on.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#5 of 5 Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like the Patapum is the way to go! If you got the infant size, how long did it last you?

I felt addicted to the Moby when I tried it on--it was just so snug and comfortable. I think I'll give it a shot (I tend to feel cold more than hot) but if it doesn't work out I can always resell it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page