Best hip carrier for short mama - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's a good hip carrier for a petite person (I'm 5'2) without too much extra material? I've been using a moby and loved it when dd was smaller but I don't like it for the hip carry). I need something a little less bulky and easier to get on/off. I was thinking ring sling/maya wrap but it seems like there tends to be a lot of extra material hanging down on the one size fits all slings and that's one thing I don't like about my moby. Also trying to find something that's not too expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 PM

I have a Hugamonkey pocket sling. I haven't owned any other carriers so I can't really compare, but I like it!

It's $29.99, very simple but comfortable and strong. It comes in sizes, so no extra material.

It did take me a while to figure out how to wear it in a comfortable way.

first-time mama to a babyf.gif born 9/2010
#3 of 7 Old 04-16-2011, 03:50 PM

With a ring sling, you can wrap the tail around the ring area several times to shorten it.  Not sure if that makes sense...

I'm not a big fan of the hip carry, but I'm 5'3" and love my mei tai.  I do a lot of front carries comfortably.  I have done hip carries easily with it, but I just don't like the hip carry.  I'd prefer a back carry, at which point I find an ssc like the Beco/Ergo really cozy.

Good luck finding the right carrier for you!!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 7 Old 04-16-2011, 03:52 PM

http://www.sakurabloom.com/categories/men's-baby-sling-collection/

Just using this as an example, but take a look at how the dad on this page has the tail wrapped.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 AM

I am 5'2'' and 100lbs not pregnant. I really like the Ergo.

I have not used our pouch sling, hip or otherwise, at all the last year and a half or so...our youngest is 22 months. The Ergo, even on the hip carry does a much, much, much better job of weight distribution. With the pouch sling it really pulled on my one hipe and shoulder. It didn't use the entire torso like the Ergo does. I think that's very important when you have a small frame like we do. 

ETA: I got my Ergo from BabySteals. If you're into pink check their archives, they may have some left. If not, they post their discontinued models on there every so often so keep your eye out.

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#6 of 7 Old 04-25-2011, 09:50 AM

For a hip carry, I really like the Scootababy, as it's way more supportive than any other rs or pouch I've tried.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#7 of 7 Old 04-29-2011, 02:42 PM

I love my hotsling pouch for hip carries. Any long carries feel more comfy on my front or back, but the hip is so great for doing stuff around the house--love that you can just quickly rotate babe to your back for a minute if you need them out of the way of the stove or something. I am fairly petite (5'4") and the pouch is very trim feeling. It's very important that it fit you well, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page