what wrap and sling would you recommend? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-17-2011, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Hello!

I've been reading about babywearing and really want to do this with my baby! I'm expecting my first in a couple of months. Where I live most people use strollers or those backpack-style carriers, and I'm not a fan of either. When I looked around for alternatives I was so happy to have discovered wraps and slings! 

The LLL group here sells maya ring slings and slinglings only and I'm thinking of getting one of those... which one would you recommend?

I'm also considering getting a wrap. I feel like wearing a sling for a long period of time would give me back and shoulder pain. There is no way for me to try or test wraps out, as I would have to order them from abroad and want some extra time before baby arrives to practice! Is it easy to nurse in a wrap?

Well... I am overwhelmed by the selection of wraps out there! I want something that would last for a long time so I don't have to buy any more carriers. We live in tropical climate, and it can get quite hot and humid in the summer months. The price range also varies a lot although I don't mind shelling out more money for a really good wrap. Is there a big difference between a Moby wrap and woven wraps? And which woven wraps would you recommend? 

Thanks in advance ladies!!!!

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#2 of 9 Old 04-24-2011, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The LLL group here sells maya ring slings and slinglings only and I'm thinking of getting one of those... which one would you recommend?

Those are good choices for ring slings you might also look at sleeping baby productions for other choices.

I'm also considering getting a wrap. I feel like wearing a sling for a long period of time would give me back and shoulder pain. There is no way for me to try or test wraps out, as I would have to order them from abroad and want some extra time before baby arrives to practice! Is it easy to nurse in a wrap?

You should google baby wearing groups maybe there is a group that meets near you. If not that ask at your LLL group for help using a wrap. Here are my favorite youtube videos on babywearing altough in Germna the timing and clear demonstration of how to use the wrap is easily understood.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NicoleSuT#p/a/u/2/GqBSCULoiww 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfuoWaK9I7Q&feature=related 

Well... I am overwhelmed by the selection of wraps out there! I want something that would last for a long time so I don't have to buy any more carriers. We live in tropical climate, and it can get quite hot and humid in the summer months. The price range also varies a lot although I don't mind shelling out more money for a really good wrap. Is there a big difference between a Moby wrap and woven wraps? And which woven wraps would you recommend? 

There are a number of differencee between a Moby, gauze wraps (Wrapsody Baby Bali Breeze) and German style woven wraps.

Weight, length and materials are the biggest differences. Moby is a stretch knit. I don't favor stretch knits they don't evenly distribute the weight of baby,  the nature of the fabric allows for the fabric to stretch. Stretching can create pressure points on the wearer and allow baby to wear lower on the wearer. They tend to stop being useful around 15 to 20# depending on how baby wears its weight. For me that is not a good investment. Baby should be close enough to kiss when wearing baby properly.

Gauze wraps are a nice lightweight wrap that offers similar support to the German Style woven. The thinness of the gauze for some is not as cush on the shoulders of the wearer and may require more attention to developing the wrap to avoid the pressure points and discomfort. Just my opinion might be better suited for a more advanced wearer.

The German Style woven is a wrap is good investment can used from newborn well into the toddler years Well cared for will retain a good resale value. Can be used by mutliple wearers without adjustment. For warm weather cotton, and cotton linen blends are really nice.

Try www.thebabywearer.com for German Style wrap manufacturer recommendations.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#3 of 9 Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM

We used a moby wrap the first 3 mos or so, and then have used a mei tai since.

BFing , Cloth diapering , Coffee loving, picture taking, SAHM to Aiden (2/18/09) and Landon (8/26/10) and DH.
#4 of 9 Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 AM

223275_1620736089868_1580406566_31187811_1258922_n.jpg

BFing , Cloth diapering , Coffee loving, picture taking, SAHM to Aiden (2/18/09) and Landon (8/26/10) and DH.
#5 of 9 Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 PM

I would not reccomend a moby for 2 reasons.  They are only usefull up until the baby is 15lbs.  The knit fabric is much warmer to wear than a thinner woven wrap.  A wrapsody would be a good choice.

For ring slings I found the maya lightly padded shoulder to be very comfy.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#6 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 AM

I'm new at this too, but I just wanted to say that I used a Moby wrap with my newborn, and he was pretty much done with it by 8 weeks old.  He is a big baby too, already over 15 lbs at 10 weeks, so he was very quickly too heavy for the Moby.  It is also a little too hot in warmer weather.  We're trying to use an Ergo now, and if he ever decides he likes it, I think it will work well for us.  It doesn't feel like it smooshes him to me as much, which I think he'll like.  

If you come from people with smaller babies, the Moby might work a little longer for you.  

#7 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 AM

I have an Ellaroo wrap that is a woven wrap. It was really comfortable and I wore a heavy babe who often napped in it, which is why I chose a wrap. I found nursing in a wrap easier than nursing in a sling. I never really got the hang of nursing in a sling. I'd look for a cotton or gauze wrap. Although I loved the Ellaroo it would be to heavy of a fabric for a hot climate. A Mei tai could be a good option too.

#8 of 9 Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 AM

I have a dydimos (German woven wrap) and I love it! I hiked mountains with a 30 lbs toddler in that sucker. It's amazing. I can't imagine needing a different carrier, although I'm getting a gypsy mama Bali stretch wrap for the newborn phase with my next babe. That's a total splurge and I truly don't need it, I just want want it! The didymos is usable for the newborn through young childhood stage.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#9 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 01:44 PM

Where did you get your mei tai? I love it.

Tags
Babywearing , Wraps , Ring Slings , Pouch Slings , Soft Structured Carriers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page