35 weeks pregnant - I don't think I need a stroller, and everyone is telling me I'm crazy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2011, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

for the record my chiropracter said wearing DD in a wrap or sling is a life saver for my back as opposed to propping her on my hip ect. I also have a very bad back due to a childhood injury and pushing a stroller hurts more for me than wearing DD on my back IDK why though.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Just curious -- are you getting a lot of flak because you are being insistent that you don't need one?  Take the path of least resistance!   As the pp's indicate, you can't really know pre-baby whether you'll want a stroller or not.  There is absolutely no rule against waiting to see if you want one, but people may be reacting to your sense of certainty, which clashes with their experience.  If people ask you why you don't want one, just say that when and if the time comes, you'll get one, but it might be nice to be able to try them in the store with the baby to find the best one for you. (Or whatever reason works for you.) You aren't promising you'll get one, but you also aren't saying that -- unlike them -- you don't need one.  I find I got the most flak when I cast my alternative decisions as "best", and got less flak when I was willing to admit that different people have experiences.  (Also, 10+ years of parenting have taught me that the more ideological you are about your plans, the more crow you have to eat later!  lol.gif )

Don't register for one, but if someone insists on buying you one anyway, smile sweetly and say "thank you very much!"  If you end up using it later -- even a couple of years later -- fantastic.  If you never or seldom use it, you can sell it and use the money for something you discover that you *do* need or want. 

Your time is near!  Enjoy that baby.  :o)

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

During my 2nd pregnancy, I took advantage of a great deal on a beautiful infant stroller that converted into a pram and rocked...then never used it!  My 1st pregnancy was twins, who were micro-premies and spent the 1st year out of the hospital attached to oxygen tanks & apnea monitors, so I never could have left the house without their stroller.  I developed some serious back issues, just carrying them places as much as I did.  I could not have done it more.  So, I just assumed strollers were as essential as breasts!

With my "normal" baby, I did find that a good, toddler-sized stroller with all-terrain tires (Jeep) was essential sometimes, from ~18mos. to 3.  It's nice if it reclines enough for a snooze.  I didn't use ours every day, but once your baby is older, heavier and more inquisitive, there is absolutely nothing wrong with him/her hitching a ride without being attached to you.  You may go places where he'll want to walk, then he'll tire before everyone else and he may enjoy the rhythm of the wheels and the ability to look/move around more than if he's tied to you.  Also, the heavier babies get, the more of a challenge you have, making sure you don't cut off circulation in their legs, with carriers.  I'm not saying don't use them!  But, for example, when we visited Williamsburg, I would not have wanted to be without our all-terrain stroller.  Much of the time, it was merely a convenient way to carry our home-cooked lunches, water, diapers, maps... but there were times when it was invaluable for the baby, too.

If people are wanting to buy you a stroller, consider, instead of trying to convince them why you want to carry your infant, asking them to buy you a stroller that will be good when he/she's older and put it away until then.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Old 04-28-2011, 08:12 AM

The nice thing is - nobody is going to stop manufacturing strollers the day your baby is born, so you don't really need to decide at all.

For a little baby the only reason I can think you would need a stroller is if you are somebody who walks at a fast pace or likes to jog outdoors, as I feel jogging or fast walking would be too jarring for the child in any type of Carrier. I didn't buy a stroller until my daughter was about 6 months old and I decided I wanted to start jogging again.

If you realize at some point after your baby is born that "hmm.. a stroller would be really convenient in this situation" you can always buy one at that point. I bought a decent jogging stroller on Craigslist, and for the amount I use it I feel justified in the $50 I spent.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:27 PM

I did not need one in the beginning at all. But, once my babies walk they really like to be up and down a lot and sometimes a stroller is just way more convenient.  We babywear MOST of the time, but there are times when I like havign a stroller...like at the mall, either to hold your bags or to allow you to put your baby down so you can try some clothes on.  Now that I hae 2 kids I definitely NEED a stroller.  I know somepeople wear 2 but it wasn't for me. 

User Tag List