Carrier for L-O-N-G torsos? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Both my DD and I have long torsos.  I have lots of carriers ... but need a good one that will be comfy for long stretches while I chase after her older sibs.

I have the bjorn with the lumber support... but it doesn't get down to the lumbar, it rides up.

I have an ergo ... but it seems like she is going to pop out of the top, plus the back of my armpits hurt. Plus my back hurts after about 20 minutes.  Do I just need to adjust it?  The ergo sport looks longer... but I am hesitant to spend the cash without a long-torso recommendation!

I tried a friend's moby, but wasn't a big fan.  I don't think I trust it, really.

thanks mamas.

#2 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 AM

The ergo is one of the shortest carriers out there.  If your LO is over 12 months- you may want to look for a toddler carrier.  The babyhawk Oh Snap is easy to get and not too expensive.  It's also fabulous and adjustable every which way and fits a lot of body types.  It doesn't have a hood, but does have a head support. 

Kinderpacks are hard to get your hands on, but a toddler size one is fabulous for even my very tall almost 3 year old. She also makes a preschool size.

Olives and Applesauce makes an 18 inch carrier that a lot of people like- I can't speak much about it as I haven't tred one.

Nana's Jetpacks are taller as well and have an XL strap option which leaves longer padding through the underarm area. 

It really is a matter of what you want in a carrier.  A moby isn't usually a good option for a baby over 15 lbs or so, but a woven wrap is great throughout toddlerhood. 

#3 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 11:46 AM

How old is she? How heavy? You will probably do better w a Mai Tai, which is more adjustable than either the Bjorn or the Ergo. I like my half buckle tai, which buckles at the waist like the Ergo, but then has the long shoulder straps of the MT for versatility. Depending on her size/age, you might prefer a toddler MT. Mine are from Two Mommas Design, but there are dozens of WAHMs who make them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM

I never had any luck with a bjorn.  I would also suggest an OhSnap.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#5 of 14 Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

She is 3 mo now .... but need one to last thru toddlerhood.

#6 of 14 Old 04-29-2011, 07:11 AM

At three months, she will be swallowed up by a lot of carriers that will work well for toddler years, they really aren't one size fits all except for a woven wrap. In your situation I would probably look for a mei tai and plan to scrunchie the base or froggie her. SSCs really begin to fit well when they are a little bigger, but three months is still tiny. At that age I loved our Moby. I assume you are using the ergo for a front carry? If that is the case- it's very likely uncomfortable. The straps don't cross in the back with an ergo, and I find that to be miserable for a front carry- something like an Action Baby Carrier might be a good option as they are comfortable and cross in the back for a great front carry.

Do you want to wrap, tie, or buckle? It really comes down to a matter of what you ae most comfortable reaching for. Wraps have the greatest learning curve, but they are infinitely adjustable.  Mei Tais are a fabulous option at this age as you can scrunchy the base and wear legs out or wear it apron style and froggy the legs.  SSCs are great- and really shine when kids are heavier and you want the added support of a structured waist- for me this is from about 20 lbs on.  They are not as snuggly with a tiny baby. 

#7 of 14 Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM

I'll say that if you just tried the Moby, that may be why you didnt like it. We loved it up to 3 mos by which time he was getting too heavy for a stretchy wrap. If you want just one carrier to last from now to "graduation" from BWing, a woven wrap in the longest length is pretty much it. I really wish i had gotten one when he outgrew the Moby, but hes too heavy and independent for me to try to learn it now.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 14 Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

At three months, she will be swallowed up by a lot of carriers that will work well for toddler years, they really aren't one size fits all except for a woven wrap. In your situation I would probably look for a mei tai and plan to scrunchie the base or froggie her. SSCs really begin to fit well when they are a little bigger, but three months is still tiny. At that age I loved our Moby. I assume you are using the ergo for a front carry? If that is the case- it's very likely uncomfortable. The straps don't cross in the back with an ergo, and I find that to be miserable for a front carry- something like an Action Baby Carrier might be a good option as they are comfortable and cross in the back for a great front carry.

Do you want to wrap, tie, or buckle? It really comes down to a matter of what you ae most comfortable reaching for. Wraps have the greatest learning curve, but they are infinitely adjustable.  Mei Tais are a fabulous option at this age as you can scrunchy the base and wear legs out or wear it apron style and froggy the legs.  SSCs are great- and really shine when kids are heavier and you want the added support of a structured waist- for me this is from about 20 lbs on.  They are not as snuggly with a tiny baby. 

What is SSC?

Thanks!

#9 of 14 Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM

SSC is a soft structured carrier- like an Ergo or Oh Snap.  They have buckles and webbing, along with padded straps and a structured waist.  I absolutely love them, but not for a three month old. 

#10 of 14 Old 04-30-2011, 11:18 AM

For a 3 month old baby, carriers that are developmentally appropriate are German Style Wovens, Gauze wraps, Korean Podegais and a ring sling. They allow for the desired shape of baby to be supported in that position of knees up at about baby's belly button level, at about 90 degrees and the lower back curved. (AKA the froggied position) All will carry baby from newborn to well into toddlerhood and be useable for future babies.

I think a woven wrap or a podegai are very good growth carriers for you and baby. Both are carries you create as you develop the carry, making them a customized carry each time. With a wrap or a podegai you would have the comfort and even distribution of weight across both shoulders and your body making the carry very supportive to you and baby.

Mei Tais and Soft Structured carriers are better suited for baby's that are sitting up well.

I would suggest you look in your local area for a baby wearing group to help you find a carrier that will fit you, and you baby.

Maybe this link will help you. http://www.sakurabloom.com/pages/Find-A-Babywearing-Group-Near-You.html 

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#11 of 14 Old 04-30-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

SSC is a soft structured carrier- like an Ergo or Oh Snap.  They have buckles and webbing, along with padded straps and a structured waist.  I absolutely love them, but not for a three month old. 

What age/size did u start using/loving the ergo?

#12 of 14 Old 04-30-2011, 03:13 PM

I prefer a couple other manufacturers as I have a leaner- so I like a taller body- but for me from about 6 months on they work well for us.  I still wear my VERY big nearly three year old and my 29lb 18 month old on a regular basis. 

#13 of 14 Old 05-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Look into the Boba G2. My 6'2" hubby carries our daughter in it comfortably (she rode around in it for 5 days at Mardi Gras this year with no problems). And it's really easy to adjust back down to my size when I wear her.

#14 of 14 Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 AM

Twomommasdesigns.com make some lovely tall bodied structured carriers.  Ours was purchased when DD was 5 months, and she could just barely peek over the top, and now at 25 months, it supports her wonderfully, and is very comfy for me as well.  You can do a custom carrier from them, you send in the fabric you like and they make it.   I have been so, so happy with ours and I have purchased many for gifts as well!

Tags
Beco Wearing Vest By Peekaru , Beco Baby Carrier Gemini , Boba Carrier Organic 2g , Hotslings Designer Pouch Style Baby Carrier , Babyhawk Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page