Back pain and babywearing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're looking for a carrier for my husband with sacroiliac joint problems.  Anybody out there with this problem that found a comfortable carrier.  I already have a ring sling and pouch sling that I don't think will be suitable.  Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM
tzs

i have an old herniated disk so babywearing was very hard for me. the wraps worked the best at the onset but once the kid hit 12 pounds or so, it would stretch, baby would hang too low and not close to the body and it would huuuurt!

i ended up getting a mei tai by maya wrap which i found to be the perfect solution for me. it hugged tight like a regular mei tei AND it has the wide wrap-type shoulder straps that distribute the weight over a larger area. plus, it's easy to do back carries with mei tais which is easier for us bad-back types.

https://www.mayawrap.com/oasiscrm/shopping.asp?Directive=ItemList&Parent=Baby&Category=MT

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#3 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'd never seen this Maya wrap before.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm wondering if any of the soft structured carriers like ergo, bebo or olives and applesauce are suitable for someone with back pain as well--sacroiliac joint to be specific or are the straps still not wide enough?

#4 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 01:42 PM

A family member of mine has had 3 back surgeries (I think something to do with the discs) She has worn both of her children from birth to 3 years old in a wrap similar to Moby or EllaRoo.  She says this is the only carrier she's found to work with the back problems she's had.  I think the trick is making sure the baby/child is nice and snug to your body.  If the wrap starts to stretch so that your child isn't close anymore, you might need to try a woven fabric as opposed to a knit fabric .  I really like wrapyourbaby.com  as a tutorial on new carries using a wrap.

Good luck!!!

PS, I think it's so cool your husband is willing to wear his baby...there's not much cuter than that! thumbsup.gif

#5 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 01:50 PM

I have a lot of back pain from the epidural and some days its so bad I can't even pick up my son. I guess it doesn't help that he's 23.6 lbs and has been since about 6 months (he's almost 1 now.) So, I've tried an EllaRoo, Moby, Mei Tai, Ring Sling and finally a Ergo. And I have to say that the Ergo is by far the best as far as support goes. I can carry my son for hours and my back doesn't even hurt. We often go on hikes and that doesn't hurt either. So, I'd definitely say spend the extra money and buy an Ergo. It's worth it.

dreads.gif treehugger.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifintactivist.gifwinner.jpgslingboy.gifRainbow.gif Mama to the apple of my eye, Brennan Scott, born May 11, 2010 stillheart.gif
#6 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 PM
tzs

i'm not sure if the straps haaaave to be wide...just that the wide straps helped with weight distribution for me. an ergo might work great for him since it is easy to load them in back carries in that thing.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#7 of 7 Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 PM

I have scoliosis and the Beco Gemini is the most comfortable carrier I have. It has wide straps that criss cross on your back so the weight is spread evenly. It is super comfy and quick on and off. I can wear it for hours and not have any pain. If I wear my mei tai or ring sling longer that about an hour, I'll start to feel pain from the scoliosis.

Mama to DS (9/4/09) babyboy.gif and DD (1/10/11) slinggirl.gif, Wife to my best friend since 11/22/08 partners.gif

Jesus loving, natural living aspiring, cloth diaper addict, student doula and CBE, future CNM! hippie.gif

Tags
Babywearing , Maya Wrap , Babyhawk Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page