Have to use an Ergo for 10 days. tips? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-14-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is a 27lb 36" 32 month old. I'm used to carrying her in an MT. I'm just under 5'5" and have slightly wider and squarer shoulders than is typical judging by how fitted blouses fit.

So tips for adjusting the billion bulky straps for fitting, getting the weight off my shoulders, dealing with the absurdly low back height? (Every picture I've found of a toddler in an Ergo has the parent leaning waaaaay forward.)

Should I just wait for dh to get home and use his longer torso and wider shoulders?

#2 of 7 Old 05-14-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Ooo, I just had an idea. I could use it for a hip carry since those are weird with a MT.

ETA: Tried it and ewwwwww.

#3 of 7 Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Why do you have to use it?  What happened to the MT?  I'm so curious!

I wish I had tips for you, but I don't.  I don't wear SSCs (they don't seem to fit me right) but DH switched from the Ergo to a Boba when DD was maybe 18 months old.  The back to the Ergo is just soooo low that DD could lean right back out of it.  I know people say they use them for their 4 year olds, but gosh, how???

I never tried a hip carry in an SSC, but I've heard they're not really that comfortable.  I think if I *had* to use the Ergo at this age, I would only do it in a front carry, so if DD did try to swan dive out of it I could grab her.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#4 of 7 Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 PM

I know lots of people love their Ergos but I cannot use one at all. The straps are bulky and don't fit well and I also did not like how low it was.
What about just using a wrap? You can do an extremely easy hip carry with a really short one!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#5 of 7 Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 PM

I'm also curious as to what happened to the MT! But as a former Ergo-hater convert it probably won't be as bad as you think.

I regularly wear a 37lb 14mo-old in one, but have been known to "up" my 34lb, 39" 33mo DS in it as well. Interestingly I find the 14mo old feels much more secure in it just due to build. As DS is skinnier I find I have a hard time getting things snug enough to feel secure.

Quote:
So tips for adjusting the billion bulky straps for fitting, getting the weight off my shoulders, dealing with the absurdly low back height? (Every picture I've found of a toddler in an Ergo has the parent leaning waaaaay forward.)

LOL! There are not actually a billion straps, and once you get them fitting the first time they won't need much adjustment (if any) the next times. I admit it does take a bit of getting used to, not being able to throw the straps over your shoulders like on a MT, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Now that I'm used to it, slipping the Ergo on is literally almost as easy for me as putting on a normal backpack, but it certainly wasn't the case at the beginning!!

As for getting the weight off your shoulders, make sure the waist strap is nice and tight, and bounce a bit to make sure your DD has a good seat like you would in your MT. Do up the chest buckle and then reach down and give the arm straps a really good tug (or two or three) to get everything nice and tight and you should be good to go.

At 32mo, I'd hope your DD doesn't lean as much as a younger child would so fingers crossed the low back height won't be much of an issue. I don't really have an issue with it, but then again I have an Ergo Sport which I've heard has a slightly taller back. 

I personally wouldn't even consider wearing a 27lber on my front. Never mind that I still HATE trying to buckle the strap behind my back when doing a front carry, my back would be killing me in no time!!

Good luck, and remember there's a learning curve to any type of carrier! winky.gif

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#6 of 7 Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using the Ergo as part of a study.

I did finally figure out a back carry, the problem was that things were bunching up under her butt. I'm still having trouble avoiding that when trying to get her into it quickly ("oh bleep a stream to cross!") but I got a friend to show me how she does things with her toddler so it should get easier to keep everything clear of hazards and get it up properly.

And the bunching is why it wasn't fitting right at all, the body of the carrier was under her butt and there's no way the straps will feel right like that, and you can't tighten the waist belt or shoulder straps properly either.

#7 of 7 Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post

Why do you have to use it?  What happened to the MT?  I'm so curious!

I wish I had tips for you, but I don't.  I don't wear SSCs (they don't seem to fit me right) but DH switched from the Ergo to a Boba when DD was maybe 18 months old.  The back to the Ergo is just soooo low that DD could lean right back out of it.  I know people say they use them for their 4 year olds, but gosh, how???

I never tried a hip carry in an SSC, but I've heard they're not really that comfortable.  I think if I *had* to use the Ergo at this age, I would only do it in a front carry, so if DD did try to swan dive out of it I could grab her.

It  let dh do a bit of jogging with her on his back. And it's similar enough to the hiking backpack we have that it's easier for him to adjust than our other carriers.

Near as I can tell from pictures they lean waaaay forward and the kid basically uses the SSC as a saddle.

Yes, the hip carry was horrible, I should edit that post.

Tags
Babywearing , Ergo Baby Carrier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page