Babywearing: am I doing it right? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-15-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a Maya wrap and a Moby that I've been using for my 4 week old daughter.  We use the Moby for going for walks outside. Baby likes it, but all that fabric gets kind of toasty in this weather. She's been spending a ton of time in the Maya, at least 5-6 hours a day. I LOVE babywearing. This is my first baby and being able to wear her feels wonderful and helps give me some freedom.

Before I gave birth, everyone was like, 'oh, you won't even have time to brush your teeth or make lunch!' So babywearing feels revolutionary...I am not trapped sitting in a rocking chair all day.

My baby always falls asleep immediately in the wrap. We went to a wedding reception this afternoon and she slept in the wrap for 2 1/2 hours. Other guests at the wedding were amazed and asking about the wrap. Not a lot of mothers here do babywearing...so we were kind of a novelty.

I am curious how much other new moms wear their babies? Is it possible to wear the sling too much? Is it okay if baby is sleeping most of the time she is in the wrap? Will this start affecting her night sleeping? She currently sleeps in 2-3 hour chunks from midnight to 8 am, which I'm happy with.

What are some other kinds of wraps or slings that we should try?

#2 of 6 Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Sounds like you have it working well for you. You might invest in a German Style Woven wrap. They are more supportive often lighter in weight have a variety of sizes and can be used well into toddlerhood.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#3 of 6 Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM

The wrapsody is another light weight wrap.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#4 of 6 Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 PM

As long as you are both happy, it sounds good to me! I do like the Wrapsody for a lightweight wrap that is somewhat stretchy too.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#5 of 6 Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM

I wore my newborn pretty much all day, from day one.  We mostly used a stretchy wrap.  I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all!  I'm glad you and baby are so comfy and happy. :)

Mama to three

#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

With my first I lived in a room in a house and the rest of the house wasn't really baby friendly so I wore here almost all day! I started with just a moby and a sling but quicky invested in a Storch. That started a semi-addiction to woven wraps for me! I only have three now which just doesn't seem to be enough for a three year old and a baby. My son I wore about ten hours each day until he was three months old and started exploring on his own. Now he is nine months old and 20 lbs and I only wear him three or four hours a day which I feel like isn't enough.

The right amount of babywearing is whatever your little one is happy with.

be good family...

Tags
Babywearing , Woven Wraps , Moby Wrap

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page