Baby doesn't like to be in the carrier - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3 wk old is not happy in the wrap or sling. I have tried about 4-5 times and she just doesn't like it. She does not like being squished. I have used 2 kinds of carries for the wrap, a cradle and upright carry and also cradle carry for the ring sling. Not happening. Is there a safe newborn carry I can use for the Mei Tai (haven't tried it yet)? In general, DD does not like to be carried in any position other than upright at the shoulder. This means no free hands for me :( She weighs around 8 pounds.

Christ Lovin' SAHM to JL 11/07, MP 5/95 and Empty Nester to BT and RM 7/89
#2 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 PM

When your dd is in the wrap is she close to your chest?  When I first started wrapping, I was doing it wrong and my daughter hated it.  She screamed as if I were hurting her.  She wasn't in tight enough or high enough.  Maybe when you're home, you could try stripping her down to her diaper and not wearing a shirt when she's wrapped up so she's skin to skin.  I don't know how you feel about pacifiers but perhaps try that as well.  My ds wasn't comfortable in the wrap for the first few months unless he was able to suck on something.

Just a thought.  Hope everything works out for you!

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#3 of 5 Old 05-20-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHorse View Post

Is there a safe newborn carry I can use for the Mei Tai (haven't tried it yet)?

This carry was DS's preferred way to be carried at that age, he could nurse from either side while upright, and since he was nursing pretty much constantly .... this worked.

http://www.babyhawk.com/Instructions/#ncft

I didn't have that carrier, but a similar one, that one just has nice instructions :)

~SynEpona~
#4 of 5 Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Where are baby's feet when you put her in a carrier?  I know many photos show baby has having legs in early on. I do not teach feet in when using a wrap, a ring sling or podegai for any baby. There is thought that this could have baby putting to much weight on the feet, and lower body.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#5 of 5 Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 PM

My DD also HATED being in any of the newborn holds, such as the ones slightly off to the side or semi-reclined cradle holds where she could nurse. It had to be upright on the middle of my chest which made it difficult to see around her or do much housework. She also wouldn't/couldn't go on my back until she was 3 months or so. I couldn't use a ring sling with her, again the position and being bunched up made her angry, but was able to take a wrap and strap her on tight enough until she had head control which is when I bought a babyhawk and she loves it! I only wish I had tried that when she was newborn since me, my husband, and my DD all love it. I definitely suggest using a mei tai if your baby doesn't like wraps or ring slings.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.

Tags
Babywearing , Wraps , Pouch Slings

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page