ERGO becoming mainstream? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was so happy the other day because I attended a new mom's group at our church and I must have seen at least 5 babywearing moms from infant to toddler and 100% of them were toting Ergo's! No Bjorns at all, which is what I used to see everyone wearing, at least in my area (Portland Oregon)

How cool is that?! I am so happy about their increasing popularity smile.gif

Anyone else notice an increase in their use or is just me?

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#2 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and the other day I was at the park and also saw some moms wearing them. One mom arrived and her friend said "I didn't recognize you because you're usually using your stroller. What kind of carrier is that?" "An Ergo!" she replied. So cool

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#3 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 07:58 PM

I've been seeing Ergos around a lot in Seattle. It's great!

sleepytime.gif
#4 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 AM

In my neighborhood (San Francisco Bay Area) I'm used to seeing tons of Baby Bjorns and Ergos.  But in the past few years I am beginning to see more of the other carriers, too, like meitai, moby, and whatnot.  Yay for babywearing!  :-D

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#5 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 AM

I've seen alot of ergos here too (CO) and the occasional beco.  Sometimes a stretchy wrap, but the only wovens I see are the mamas from my BWing group!  hehe.  Unfortunatley though I do see alot of bjorns/snuglis, I'm thinking of making up cards with our group info and website info and just saying something like "I see you wear your baby like me!   We would love to have you come to one of our playdates and you can try other kinds of carriers!"  I don't want to seem confrontational.

Jolene, RN; Proud Mommy to Dylan (09/27/05), Bryce and Kaia (12/02/09)
#6 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 04:21 PM

They've been on tv shows as well, like Grey's.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#7 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 04:24 PM

I see a lot of them, too (in both NM and CO).  Moby wraps, as well. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post

They've been on tv shows as well, like Grey's.

Yup I saw that too and was so excited LOL!!!

Around here, I find Ergos still tend to be the "crunchy mama" flag. I'm seeing them more & more but not really mainstream. Whenever I see a mom (or dad!) with an Ergo I want to go talk to them because I've found it almost always means they are more into natural living. Too bad I'm too shy to talk to them! I do think they appeal more to the general public though -- I got the weirdest comments when I had DS in my homemade "Moby" but get much more positive & accepting reactions when he's in the Ergo.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#9 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 07:55 PM

I think the Ergo is a great "transition" carrier between more mainstream and more AP ... It's structured enough to make sense to people not really into babywearing, but it's so much nicer than the Bjorns! I hope it keeps catching on. We get lots of smiles and compliments when DS is in ours. 

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

#10 of 12 Old 05-26-2011, 03:26 PM

we actually got a coupon for $15 off when we got our welcome baby pack from our OB/GYN.  I didn't need another carrier, but couldn't waste a coupon biglaugh.gifand it is DH's favorite to use.

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#11 of 12 Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWmama View Post

I think the Ergo is a great "transition" carrier between more mainstream and more AP ... It's structured enough to make sense to people not really into babywearing, but it's so much nicer than the Bjorns! I hope it keeps catching on. We get lots of smiles and compliments when DS is in ours. 

Why just a transition one? I have tried a dozen carriers and the Ergo is the most comfortable one to me! I feel no back pain with my bad back, it goes all the way up to fit my 4 year old as well, not really sure what you mean by merely a transition one- like it's not one of the good ones or something?

#12 of 12 Old 05-26-2011, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't want to speak for MSWmama, but I don't think she meant it wasn't as good!  

It seems easier for people who have only seen bjorn-style carriers to wrap their head around using an ergo.  Some people who aren't 'into' babywearing may have the idea that anything that wraps or ties, or only goes over one shoulder, is hard to use or maybe not as good because it's not 'structured'.  I know this has been the case for some of my friends and family.  I am also an ergo and beco fan, I like wrapping and ring slings but the soft structured style are consistently comfy and easy to use.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

Tags
Ergo Baby Carrier , Babywearing , Baby Bjorn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page