Need help adjusting my Beco - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was trying to decide between the new performance Ergo and the Beco Butterfly 2 when I stumbled across a Beco Butterfly 2 on clearance for 50% off (the store was closing).  Well, since $70 in savings is nothing to shake a stick at, I snapped it up. 

Now I'm home and trying to fit the Beco to baby and I, and I'm struggling.  The DVD that came with it isn't really helping.  Here's the issue:  when baby is in it the carrier, the "Y" shape between her and I is not taut.  In fact, it is quite wrinkly.  I could take a 1" or more tuck in the fabric.  When I try to adjust the carrier so that goes away, I end up tightening down the shoulder straps quite a bit, which brings her lower back in quite snuggly, and I also have to let the upper "load adjustment" straps out quite a bit, which gives her room to really arch back quite a bit.  This balance between the load adjustment straps and the shoulder straps is complex, and I'm struggling.  Also, I find that if the Y is taut, it is because the weight is on my shoulders with the hip belt sort of hanging loose, which obviously isn't comfortable for long carries.  

I've only ever had a classic Ergo SSC, so this balance wasn't in question.  But she arches quite a bit in that, so I'm trying to find something that will hold her closer but easier to use than my homemade Mei Tie...(sp?)  I think the Beco might be the answer if I can just figure out the adjustment issue.  Maybe I'm too short waisted for this carrier?

Any tips for how to make this work?  Do other Beco wearing moms have a taut "Y" between them and baby?  Or is it sort of loose and wrinkly? 

And as a closing, do any of you have slobber covers for the Beco straps?  My little coyote is already trying to chew her way out of this one.

Thanks for any pointers.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's been a while since I've worn ours, but I don't think the internal harness needs to be taut.  It is just there to keep the baby in when you take off the carrier (for example, to switch from a front to a back carry).  When the Beco is on you properly, the internal harness isn't doing anything.

The majority of the weight should be on your hips.

There are some helpful adjustment tips here:

http://www.theportablebaby.com/becobabycarriers.html

You should be able to get it a lot more comfortable than it sounds like it is right now.

Good luck!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 06-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

And as a closing, do any of you have slobber covers for the Beco straps?  My little coyote is already trying to chew her way out of this one.

Thanks for any pointers.

I've never used a Beco, so no advice there. But this Etsy shop has super cute Suck Pads: http://www.etsy.com/shop/redcharlotte?section_id=7827448

I bought a set for my KP and they are very well made, super cute and she ships quickly. :)

Tags
Babywearing , Beco Baby Carrier , Ergo Baby Carrier , Beco Butterfly Ii Carrier
User Tag List