Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Babywearing (http://www.mothering.com/forum/245-babywearing/)
-   -   I need a new carrier (http://www.mothering.com/forum/245-babywearing/1315266-i-need-new-carrier.html)

Adaline'sMama 05-29-2011 08:09 PM

Hi!
I currently have a Moby Wrap, a Baby Bjorn, and a canvas cloth that holds the babe on my hip (I cant remember the name right now).

I need a carrier that will hold a baby on my back, but that is not a tie-on carrier. My stomach is less than flat, and the mai tie (is that how you spell it?) cuts into my waist and makes me feel SUPER fat. That does not encourage me to wear it. It feels weird to wear it in public at all. Ideally, Id like a carrier that holds baby on back and front. I dont need it to hold FF in the front, because my baby bjorn does that, and I can use the Moby that way. I will use the moby for the little babe for a while after its born.

I know people love the Ergo and there seems to have been several new things that have come out since DD was born. Can anyone recommend a carrier that is great but wont cut into my waistline?

alyadri 05-29-2011 08:46 PM

I personally don't have a different type of carrier to recommend - however, if you're uncomfortable with how the moby cuts into your waistline while doing a back carry, you can always try a tibetan hold.  It ties across your chest rather than your stomach.  I am also discouraged with having to tie something that some of my baby flab hangs over.

clovergirl 05-29-2011 08:49 PM

Unfortunately, most buckle carriers (like the Ergo) will cause the dreaded "muffin top" just like the mei tai does if you have even a little bit of a belly.  Though some may not cause as much of a bulge as others depending on the shape and angle of the waist belt in conjunction with your body shape (some variations fit some people better than others).  That said, if you wear the waist belt low enough (and most buckle carriers have you place the waist around your hips instead of at your natural waist) you can always un-tuck your shirt in the front to cover it.  That's what I normally did when I was feeling self conscious about it.

Since you are pregnant though, you may want to look into a woven wrap.  It will give you the most versatility in how you carry your toddler as your pregnancy progresses and your belly grows.  There are even some back carry variations that don't tie around your waist/hips at all.  Which can be a nice option to have if the feeling of something around your baby belly bothers you at any point during the pregnancy.  Some good brands to look into are BBslen, Girasol, Storchenwiege, Ellevill, and Didymos. 

Good luck in your search and congrats on your pregnancy!

ABO Mama 05-29-2011 11:10 PM

I really like chunei for back carries.  The vest front completely covers your tummy, and I find them very comfy to wear.

Adaline'sMama 05-30-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyadri View Post

I personally don't have a different type of carrier to recommend - however, if you're uncomfortable with how the moby cuts into your waistline while doing a back carry, you can always try a tibetan hold.  It ties across your chest rather than your stomach.  I am also discouraged with having to tie something that some of my baby flab hangs over.

Thanks!
Im actually super comfortable in the Moby, but I think once I have a pregnancy belly, Ill have to wear DD on my back. I plan to wear her throughout my entire pregnancy. She is still under 20 lbs, and I dont want to stop wearing her the new baby is born (DH can wear one kid, and Ill wear the other).

I guess I need to try on a few different types of carriers.

springbride 05-31-2011 08:45 PM

I found a great tutorial on a rucksack carry for a wrap that ties across your chest.  This has been a lifesaver for me this pregnancy, as DD (30lbs) still loves to be worn.  I can dig up a picture or the tutorial for you if you're interested.  

Mom2M 05-31-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbride View Post

I found a great tutorial on a rucksack carry for a wrap that ties across your chest.  This has been a lifesaver for me this pregnancy, as DD (30lbs) still loves to be worn.  I can dig up a picture or the tutorial for you if you're interested.  

I love that one too! smile.gif

Adaline'sMama 06-01-2011 07:32 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I tried on a few carriers yesterday and I really like the Boba. It has a wide band at the waist, and and the strap is really easy to adjust, so I dont think it will cut in. Im not a huge fan of the look of it, but I think it will do exactly what I need. I may well get a woven carrier for myself as well, but DH needs something that looks more like this for him to be comfortable.

http://www.bobababycarrier.com/index.php?page=boba-dusk