Ergo Classic vs Sport vs Performance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-30-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd like to get an Ergo for my LO that's due this August but I'm not sure which one to get. There is the Ergo Classic, Organic (same as Classic but with Organic cotton, right?), Sport and Performance.  Online, the descriptions are not all that different from one another.  Unfortunately I live in an area where there is nowhere to try any out, so I'm hoping some of you have seen/used the different models. 

It's very warm and humid all year long here, so at first I thought I'd get the Sport or Performance, as they are described as lightweight and keeping you cool. But I am worried that it will feel like outdoor gear, and not something cozy that I'll also want to use regularly around the house. Also, IME, cotton is often cooler than synthetic because it breathes. 

If anyone has any thoughts on the differences, it would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-31-2011, 04:41 AM

I haven't tried all of them, just the Sport that came this morning, but i can tell you that it FEELS like cotton (in terms of the fabric) not at all like a polyester.  It's a poly-cotton but you really can't tell it's not a cotton iykwim.  I imagined it might be a bit rucksacky, but it really isn't.  I agree that cotton "breathes" but there are several layers of fabric and padding between so the design sort of minimises the breathability of cotton - the polycotton wicks slightly and the sport has a vent opening in the back of the pouch to air out sweat little necks/backs.  I'm in Scotland - it's NOT hot here, but i'm really active with the carriers and use them all the time, and DD2 and I are both sweaters, so it's perfect for us.  A small difference but a valuable one i feel.

I've had my DD2 (turning 1 on saturday!) on my front and back and my (21.5kg!) DD1 (5yo!) on my back.  It's really comfy, not at all "outdoorsy" and IMO definitely fine/comfy/cosy for using about the house.

We chose the sport because we're both tall, broad-shouldered, big (not hugely fat but not skinny and not small-boned) people and it has extra distance in the straps.  DD's both look great in it.

#3 of 4 Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 AM

I have the Sport only because it was $57 on Babysteals one day (plus shipping).  I had borrowed a Classic.  The Sport does seem a bit lighter, but I wouldn't say it is a massive difference.  Gotta go, but that's the two cents I have time to spare!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#4 of 4 Old 05-31-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your two-cents. I ended up buying a Sport last night because I realized it was the last day to get it for 20% off at REI, but I told myself that I can always exchange it if I think I want a different one.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Tags
Babywearing , Ergo Baby Carrier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page