how long is it going to take to get the hang of this? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First I got a Mammaroo. Can't get that to feel comfortable. I just spent a buttload (yes - that IS a technical term for a lot of moola) of money on a silk zolo, thinking "oh, rings, that can't be too hard" (buzzer sound here) wrong. I feel so deflated. I keep reminding myself that it takes time. But how much time. And also, I have to admit, I think it looks funny on me. WAAAHHH. Thanks for letting me whine.
#2 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 12:48 PM

Mandy, silk slings can be hard to adjust at first but they get easier and softer with use. I bet it looks beautiful on you--you prolly just haven't treated yourself to anything so nice in a while . Every kind of sling takes some getting used to. You have picked two with a slightly steeper learning curve than some. I bet if you keep working with them, you will be rewarded with sling love .

I have a friend with both of those slings who is a moderator at tbw.com. her name is Alison and she posts as mommy2twins+1. I bet she can help you. I'm great with ring slings but don't know much about the mamaroo.

Edited to say:
Hey, you are near me! Come on over to Mothersville for a sling play date! Alison will be happy to meet you here and help you with your slings. Do you get to Memphis much?
#3 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

I don't get to memphis often - it's a little bit of a jot for me from NW AR. I'm going to keep trying w/the sling. It is beautiful, but I keep thinking abt all the diapers I could've bought for 150.00 : I've decided I'm going to look at like BF, in the first week I thought many times, I'm just not going to do this, but I stuck it out and before I knew it, it was easy as pie.
I am looking into getting a hiphammock for DH tho. And I'd prob use it too. I worry abt getting the silk one mucked up - even if it is washable.

any suggestions for an easy secure sling that is good for our climate?
#4 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 PM

Well, I'm a big Maya fan. The fabric is very breathable. If you want super-easy, I'd go for a pouch. Hotslings are great and light, and you can get a little padding in the leg rail for hip carries. The MamaBaby is super easy and is no heavier than a t-shirt, and very soft. You can wear two of them crossed and get a lot of the wrap positions, too.

Keep trying. It sounds like you have the right attitude
#5 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 02:15 PM

Practice, practice, and patience. It's hard to learn to tie shoes, too...but once you get it, you get speedy quickly.

I am always humbled when I try to switch shoulders w/ my Maya Wrap...I transform from super-duper 2+ years experience pro on my right shoulder, to bumbling when I put it on my left (so I don't put it on my left shoulder! "It's too hard!" I whine.)

It is challenging...slings have a steep learning curve, but once you get it down, you'll be slinging with one-hand with car keys in your mouth, diaper bag over your shoulder in the parking lot. :LOL
#6 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 03:13 PM

Just keep at it.....you are doin' great I was intimidated by the Zolo at first too. Now I slap that baby on and have it adjusted in no time flat

It does take some time to get used to- so whine away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page