Are woven wraps 'poppable'? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm thinking of getting either a Moby or a Calin Bleu gauze wrap.  I really don't like the heat so I think a gauze wrap would be ideal, but having read lots of reviews I'm confused about whether I'll be able to tie on the wrap in the morning and then pop baby (3 weeks old) in and out throughout the day without undoing the whole wrap.  If I have to keep taking the whole wrap on and off then I might be better with a standard stretchy wrap.  Any advice?

#2 of 8 Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM

I find the Moby wrapped in the hug hold to be very poppable, but I think babies need to be a little older for this wrap tho (3 mo?). I have no experience with a non-stretchy wrap so I don't know how they behave with this particular wrap. One thing I like about the hug hold is I can leave the Moby on. I'll wrap before leaving the house and pop DS in/out as needed for errands.

I will warn that the Moby does get very warm. I'm looking into gauze wraps or a mei tai for summer.

#3 of 8 Old 06-11-2011, 07:07 PM

I have a gauze wrap - i tie it into a front cross carry and then i can pop baby in - typically when we get to the store  - i do find the gauze sort of stretches out a bit after a while - and i do have to retie it after a while...BUT i have a 25' lb baby ....so at three weeks - you should be OK for at least the summer! 

Since Moby (and all stretchy wraps) are only suitable for babes less than 15 lbs ...i think you get more 'bang for your buck' with a woven right from the start. 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#4 of 8 Old 06-11-2011, 08:15 PM

While the Moby is very pop-able.  I found that as the day would go on, it would start to loosen up, so either way you're going to have to do some re-wrapping. 

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#5 of 8 Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

We used the hug hold with the Moby from Day 1. Legs curled up at first but hanging out by about 6 weeks.

It is quite poppable as other's have said. Woven definitely less so but you certainly don't have to take it off all the way (or the Moby to tighten either, for that matter). I would only undo the waist and then I could readjust/remove/insert as I needed to.

The Moby (or other stretchy wrap) is great to start with as it is more forgiving but, with hindsight, I'd probably just go with a woven now. I love my neobulle. Definitely soft enough for a newborn, whereas the gauze wrap I have is quite scratchy and I don't like it for tinies.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 8 Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Wrapsody Baby Bali Breeze is a gauze wrap that is very thin and comes in more than one lenght. Making it less overwhelming than the Moby. This should compare well to Calin Bleu.

Wrapsody Baby Bali stretch is a hybird wrap that allows for multiple carries(more than Moby) for even heavier babies and is thinner than a Moby It has a higher price point because it is more multifunctional than the Moby.

As for pop-able wraps German Style Wovens can be pop-able. A front wrap cross carry or pocket wrap can both be pop-able but like the Moby you will need to tighten the wrap over the course of the day.

You might look for a sling meet near you to give you more information on these carriers before you buy.

Here is a link that lists many baby wearing groups the UK is in the very last column at the bottom.

http://www.sakurabloom.com/pages/Babywearing-Groups.html 

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#7 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've bought a Moby as they're much more easily available on ebay and I thought it would be better to get an 'easier' wrap to start with.  So far I like it, depending on how much I use it I'll look at getting a gauze one too.

#8 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 03:28 PM

After I got the hang of it, I found that a woven wrap in a front cross carry was as poppable and actually much easier to use than my stretchy wrap (I had a Wrapsody stretch wrap).  Both need some adjustment but it was so much nicer not to have to deal with all the extra fabric (I am petite and would have to wrap it around myself at least 3 extra times before tying a knot).  I also found the stretch wrap too hot, even though I run cold and though the Wrapsody is supposed to be a thin wrap (baby was a furnace when he was younger).

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Tags
Moby Wrap

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page