I found the COOLEST thing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-06-2004, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Philly and I was browsing in a store that sold Asian textiles. I had my boy in his Girasol and the lady who ran the store wanted to see how it was tied etc., then she dug through this basket and pulled out 4 baby carriers that she bought in Vietnam--they are traditional Hmong carriers.

Well, I had almost not even brought my wallet with me that day but thank heavens I did. I immediately took Diego out of his Girasol and tried on the carrier she had. It was SO fabulous. I bought one on the spot and then ended up going back to the store to buy two more of them.

The lady was so excited that she gave me a discount and took a picture of me holding Diego in it. She said that she figured that someone might buy one to hang on their wall because they are so beautiful, but that "no one would be willing to give up their Bjorn and actually use it!"

It is kind of like a Kozy except that it only has straps at the top which go over your shoulders, cross in the back and then tied under the babe's bum. It is so simple and will be really cool for summer.

The fabric is absolutely GORGEOUS--quilted and embroidered and it is a little faded as she bought it used in Vietnam. I love the idea of all the little Hmong babies who might have ridden in it.

She said that in Vietnam they wear the babies on the back with it, which I have done with Diego. This week I also tried turning him around so he faced forward which he loved (he hadn't ever done that before).

Best of all, the design is so simple that I made one for my friend in 2 hours. She just came over and pawed through my fabric stash and I made her one that night that she can take on her beach vacation next week.

Can you tell I'm a little excited? I'm going to try to post a link for a picture of me and my little guy in it.

I just love how I happened to find it in this store and that it is an authentic carrier from a totally other part of the world. Yay!
#2 of 28 Old 04-06-2004, 06:01 PM

That's too cool! My Mom is going to Vietnam this summer. I'll have to ask her to keep her eyes open for something like that. Sounds so pretty. I'd love to see a picture of it
#3 of 28 Old 04-06-2004, 06:47 PM

Can you post or pm me the store & addy? I'd love to check that out!
#4 of 28 Old 04-06-2004, 07:08 PM

That is so awesome I can't wait until you post the link!!

I am impatiently waiting.... :LOL
#5 of 28 Old 04-06-2004, 10:03 PM

How cool! I love Hmong work!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#6 of 28 Old 04-06-2004, 10:30 PM

hey kofduke - potential outing??? :LOL
#7 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 09:59 AM

Yeah! Don't tease us! Post a pic! Post a pic!
#8 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 12:18 PM

Patiently sitting in my office with no work to do, waiting to see where I can take a field trip!
#9 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry ladies, just saw all the replies now.

I'll try to post a picture tonite--I'm computer challenged and don't know how to get the pix off the digi camera so I have to wait for my DH to get home.

As for the location of the store: it was called Ruka and it was on 19th between Market and Walnut (can't remember exactly where). Here's the news though: she only had 4 and I bought 3--I know, I'm a junky. they weren't cheap either! The one that I didn't buy would have needed some major work on the straps as they were very worn. That is also true for one of the ones that I purchased. I may fix the straps and sell it on Ebay, but I haven't decided yet.

Hopefully I'll have pix for you guys tonite... Jessi
#10 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 02:00 PM

I understand...I couldn't post a pic either. :LOL
#11 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 02:21 PM

That is so incredibly cool! Please please try to post a picture! I would love to see it!
#12 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 03:18 PM

Oooh, I wanna see!!! I wanna see!!!
#13 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 04:21 PM

is that store????

I live in Center City and I'd love to check out that store. Can you tell me what it's called or where it is?

-Kate
#14 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Kate--I posted the address of the store a few replies up.
#15 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

I hope this works

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b3717af0844f

Try pasting that into your browser if you can't click on it...
#16 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 08:26 PM

OMG, that's so beautiful. I'm going to be in that neighborhood on Monday, so I'm going to try and check the store out (assuming all you sling hyenas haven't beat me to it!!!)
#17 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jgale
Kate--I posted the address of the store a few replies up.
How did I miss that? I love that store too. I walk by it all the time.

-Kate
#18 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 09:59 PM

what a great carrier! check out this link http://www.sjalar.nu/

click the second word on the left. it should bring up a page that has the ellaroo on it. scroll down to sakara. at first i thought it was that one but i notice the straps are too thin on yours to be that one. isn't this one beautiful though?
#19 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 11:15 PM

Thanks!
#20 of 28 Old 04-07-2004, 11:35 PM

Thanks for posting the pic! beautiful carrier- and precious DC
#21 of 28 Old 04-13-2004, 12:40 PM

I went to see it yesterday! It's gorgeous! I think that the damage to the straps on the one that's left would make it too hard for me to safely sling my big DS without needing to modify it too much (he's 25 lbs or so!) but it's gorgeous. I *might* go back and get it for my wall in a few weeks it's so pretty (that was why the owner bought them) - but if someone else wants it for actual use, don't let me stand in your way!

I chatted with the owner about the slings - she thought you were awesome, jgale - she was so impressed with how intuitively you got your DS in there! She is going to document the pattern, and try and have a few made. She was thinking of cotton, but I suggested a brocade, which she hadn't thought of. She said she has some Vietnamese brocades that she might try
#22 of 28 Old 04-13-2004, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

She had mentioned to me that she might do that. I was sort of hoping that she would ask me to help her with the sewing, but she made it sound like she had other people to do the work.

I've made 2 carriers based on that design already--one for me and one for a friend of mine. I just used really light cotton (stuff I use in my quilts) so that they would be comfy for the babies for summer.

I may take my babycakes by there in the home made one so she can see it...and maybe I can get involved in her project. I bet she's got some fabulous fabric in her collection.

Next, I'm going to make one for my DH out of a manly paisly that he picked out of my stash. You can pm me if you think you'd like me to make one for you.

I'm still working the kinks out a bit, but I should have the design squared away after the next few I make (I've got 3 pregnant friends who are all going to receive one for their baby showers...)
#23 of 28 Old 04-14-2004, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
do you think you could post directions on how to make one? i really want to make a back carrier- but i am looking for a more simple pattern- or clearer directions than the ones i have seen online. you said it was really easy so i would love to try! i would pay you to make one- but we are sooo broke right now, and i have tons of fabric!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#24 of 28 Old 04-14-2004, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm happy to post directions. The only thing the slightest bit tricky about doing that is that I laid the original cover down on my fabric and traced around it to get the shape right.

However, I'll try to measure it in the next few days and figure out if I can describe it well enough that you could follow the directions.

It's a great, simple carrier. I'm still really excited about it. My babe is in the one I made now, facing forward, bouncing on the seat of the chair I'm sitting on, and chewing on the edge. I think the next one I make will be trimmed in terry cloth. Not so stylish, but excellent for chewy babies...

Jessi
#25 of 28 Old 04-15-2004, 10:17 PM

It's gorgeous! And you and your babe look gorgeous in it.

So cool that you were able to recreate it. I would LOVE to have some directions too. My sis is going to be giving me her unused sewing machine so I'd love for that to be my first project.
Question......how is it with the thin straps? I would be afraid that it might not be too comfy since my ds is 23 lbs.
#26 of 28 Old 04-15-2004, 10:46 PM

I just told my husband about how you found these and showed him the pics. He said, "That's beautiful! And that lady looks very smug."

:LOL
#27 of 28 Old 04-16-2004, 08:37 PM

That is beautiful!!!!! I really need to get my butt into gear and make something like that!

Tammy
#28 of 28 Old 04-26-2004, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't posted directions yet.

I haven't forgotten and will do it soon. I've been tweaking the design a little, and the weather here has been so freaking nice that I haven't been by the computer at all.

Plus I took the boy to the march in DC yesterday (in his homemade carrier...in which he nursed while we marched!) and have just been wiped out today. He pooped on his carrier. Damn sposies!

Anyway, I'm way off topic here, just wanted to tell folks who were hoping for instructions that I'm going to try to write them up this Friday and get them on the web some time next week.

Happy baby snuggling. Jessi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page