Anyone tried the "Baby Wrap"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I looked at this when I was preg with DD#2 but never bought one. Now I got one used and am due with #3 in Oct. I like the idea of back and front positions. It comes with a video and "looks" great but I wonder about the ease in getting it on and it seems like it would be a pain to do in public for the back position.
Just wondered if anyone has tried this and what their experience was. I haven't been able to find many reviews on it.
Thanks
Ann

edited due to calling it the wrond name-oops.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#2 of 6 Old 04-06-2004, 11:03 PM

Is this the "Ultimate Baby Wrap" you are talking about?

I saw some in a store once, but they were in their packages and I couldn't see them clearly. What I liked about them was how snug they seemed, like they were trimmer on a person and allowed you to really hold baby close. But then I discovered that they tie closed and I'm just not so into that idea of tying and untying...

But I've always been kind of curious about them. So I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences with them.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 6 Old 04-07-2004, 03:07 AM

They dont tye close(or the one I have doesnt and neither did the ones made around the time I bought mine). They have rings that you adjust like on a ring sling. I didnt like the rings though, and took them off. It is a snug sling, but you have to put it on REALLY tight for it to truly hug. Plus I didnt like the fact you cant do the rucksack carry, instead you have to thread it backwards and have someone else put the child in it on your back.

If I hadnt cut the rings off and unstitched the pocket off, I'd sell mine.
#4 of 6 Old 04-07-2004, 03:47 AM

I think the OP is talking about the Baby Wrap http://www.babywrapinc.com/ It is a torso carrier based on the ones worn in Africa. I have always thought it looked really neat, but never got enough positive feed back to spend the money and try it for myself. From what I have heard the kubeba http://www.beginnings.org/shopeu/bui...ers_kubeba.htm or the traditional african torso carrier http://www.beginnings.org/shopeu/kno...orsodrager.htm are better options from Africa, or the podegi http://onmamasback.com/store/Default.asp from Korea if you want a torso carrier....that being said, if I ever found one used on ebay I would be really tempted to try it
#5 of 6 Old 04-07-2004, 08:51 AM

I have one for sale on the trading post under (African) Baby Wrap, so if you are interested after wading through the reviews you read please pm me!

I bought it after wanting something that was a little more hands-free than the sling, and I got what I wanted, but was still a little frustrated.

The +s were that it is very secure, and tied baby close to my body so that I could do bending-over things like laundry, gardening, etc. The back carry did not work particularly well for us because my baby didn't like being so far away, but he was little when we were using it, so it might work well with an older child. I think the issues we had with it re: the back carry were similar to those you might have with another back carrier for infants.

I also like the way that it centered his weight on my body and how it kept him relatively high on my chest/belly, making it easier to walk/hike long distances because my stride was more even and less encumbered.

One - is that it is a little more complicated than it looks, with a chest strap that provides some stability, and a pouch that the baby sits in on the inside. It probably only takes 2 minutes to put on, but after the ease of the sling it seemed complex.

Good luck!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#6 of 6 Old 04-07-2004, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Brusslesprout was right about the one I was referring to-the African type carrier-thanks for the alternatives-I'll look into those too.
The one I got was a good deal so I'm fine with trying it out and if it doesn't work I'm not out $60 like if I bought it new.

And thanks for the feedback Defenestrator! I thought it looked a little complex to put on too compared to the simple sling I've used but I've never felt very secure with my secure so I wanted something more snug.

We'll see how it goes!
Thanks mamas!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page