Babywearing creating lazy child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering if anyone out the has had or is having the same problem as I am. I am a HUGE fan of babywearing. My DS is in the baby bjorn when I am cleaning the house, going on walks, or running errands (grocery shopping, the post office, etc). I spend lots of time playing with him on the floor, but I don't hold him for extended periods of time on my hip or anything. When I have to carry him around for more than 5-10 min I use the baby bjorn. Mostly because he gets heavy and I sometimes need both of my hands. My DS is 5 months old now and he still doesn't know how to sit on my hip. He won't wrap his legs around me and RARELY holds on to my neck or shoulders. I try to help him figure it out, but he just lets me do all the work and lets his legs and arms dangle or puts his hands in his mouth. He also hasn't figured out how to sit up on his own. I work with him on this several times a day, but he still can't find his balance. He falls to the side or back or forward. Even when I put his hands in front of him to help him balance, he picks his hands up and starts to eat them. If I give him a toy he can't even hope to sit up because he's spend the whole time "eating" the toy. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you think it's from babywearing or is my DS just a little on the "lazy" side?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 05:32 PM

I think your DS it totally normal. My DD sat at 5 months, but I know lots of babies who dont sit until 6 months. I think it has a lot more to do with head to body size ratio than babywearing. Even at 5 months, my dd still fell over all the time.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 PM

It sounds pretty normal to me, too!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Wearing your baby will in no way keep baby from developmental milestones. The norm for sitting up is 9 months. You baby sounds normal and healthy to me.  

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your replies! I feel much better knowing I'm not holding him back from development. My sister mentioned that she thought that might be the cause of him not sitting or being stable when I hold him, but I think she was just guessing. I guess I'm a little paranoid :) I hope he doesn't take 9 months to sit up though! That seems like so long! And I think he will be a happier baby when he can sit and play with toys and feel a little independent!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 AM

Agree with PPs 100%. you are not hindering development by wearing. Definitely would not expect a 5 mo old to sit unassisted or hold onto you in a hip carry. If he is still not sitting by 10 months, then I might be concerned, but I bet he will be pretty soon. I personally don't believe a parent needs to practice sitting with a baby, they will only do it when developmentally ready, not any sooner.

DS 12/2010 bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif

User Tag List