Back/neck pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just started doing baby wearing (as of yesterday) with my newborn. We have a mei tai; she is two weeks old and weighs 9 lbs. Should I be experiencing any pain after wearing the baby? I might have just done it for too long of a period for my first time, but my right shoulder and neck are just awful this morning. We were both super comfortable (minus the heat) while wearing, but this morning my body is just awful. Is it like breast feeding where your body just needs to adapt to what is doing? Also, I had a high risk pregnancy and have not been able to do any lifting/exercising in 3-4 months - would that be part of the problem?

#2 of 2 Old 07-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hmm, it really shouldn't hurt...that said, you DID just give birth, so your core will be weaker than usual, and babywearing mostly works your core muscles.  If it was general soreness, I'd guess that you just need to strengthen your babywearing muscles a little.  But since it sounds like a more localized pain, I wonder if something else is going on.  You might want to check where your shoulder straps are placed on your shoulders.  I find that when they're too close to my neck, it hurts my neck.  Also make sure the carrier is tied tightly enough that your baby's weight is pressed securely against your torso...if you lean forward, she shouldn't have enough room to fall away from you into the carrier, she should stay in place.  If she's not pressed snugly against your body, her weight will drag down on your shoulders and upper back and can make you ache.  I'd also pay attention to your posture while you're wearing her.  I know that my posture was awful for months and months postpartum, and I really had to focus to not slouch or slump, especially while babywearing.

If you post a picture of yourself wearing her in the mei tai, I can check it to make sure there's nothing obvious that needs tweaking.  smile.gif

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page