Can't get my baby comfy in any carrier I own. :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Three ring slings (solarveil, linen, cotton), a Pikkolo (legs out), a Moby, and Beco Butterfly 2. Help!!! DS is 4 weeks old, and I can't seem to get his legs and feet comfy in any of these. Occasionally the Moby has worked and he's fallen asleep, and the Beco once. Every other time he only lasts a few minutes, or cries right away. I try to froggie his feet, or put one leg under him and one out. He tries to stand up in the carriers almost every time. I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

I'd really like to get the hang of the Beco, since it's comfy for me. But when he cries I take him out and end up trying to hold him with one arm while chasing my 2yo.

Any tips or advice? I keep trying and getting frustrated. I thought of trying a woven wrap and getting him in a high back carry, but I think since I'm failing with all these carriers I'd better not try any more. greensad.gif

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 6 Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 AM

I had the same problem with DD, none of the legs in positions worked. I found two things that worked for her. One was the ring sling with her legs out and her facing me. The fabric was tucked under her to her knees and the top was high enough to support her head.
The other one was the moby in the same kind of position, her legs out facing me and the bottom rail tucked under them up to her knees, the top rail right up to the top of her head like hood.
In both positions she was high enough for me to kiss her head.

Is it possible for you to attend a babywearing group meeting? I found it very helpful because I have a hard time looking at a video and figuring out a carry but in person, someone can help adjust her.

If you are looking for a cooler wrap, a bali baby breeze is a nice option because it isn't as expensive as some wraps and it's a little stretchy so a bit easier to adjust.

The Moby is pretty hot so it might be making her uncomfortable also.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#3 of 6 Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 AM

I've found our Beco to be our best bet.  I use the infant insert, have the body buckles all the way tight and put her in laying down.  I cradle her and the carrier and gently move to the upright kangaroo position then put the shoulder straps on.  I buckle the waist straps over her legs then do the chest/back strap.  I second a babywearer meeting or if there is a local mama willing to help out?

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#4 of 6 Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiyhayil View Post

I've found our Beco to be our best bet.  I use the infant insert, have the body buckles all the way tight and put her in laying down.  I cradle her and the carrier and gently move to the upright kangaroo position then put the shoulder straps on.  I buckle the waist straps over her legs then do the chest/back strap.  I second a babywearer meeting or if there is a local mama willing to help out?

Oh...so your LOs feet are actually in between the waist straps and your body? I've been tightening the waist and making him bend his legs. I will try this TODAY!!! Thanks!!!!! orngbiggrin.gif

No, no babywearing meetings here that I know of..I wish! It's kind of a small town and the crunchy mamas are just starting to get connected now that we have a cloth diaper store that opened and one LLL meeting per month. I'm still in the "can't get up the nerve to leave the house" postpartum phase anyway. redface.gif

#5 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

abiyhayil-- any tips on getting the Beco infant insert just right? The website said most babies need it attached at the lowest point on the velcro (at the white line), but I think maybe it needs to be up higher so I can have his feet NOT under the waist band (and therefore I can't tighten it very much so his feet aren't squished, YK?) The infant insert buckles leave marks on his arms, too... greensad.gif I guess it will take some tweaking to get it just right.

#6 of 6 Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM

A froggied position has baby's knees up about level with baby's belly button, bent about 90*(degrees) and about shoulder width a part.

Baby's feet are best positioned outside of the carrier that way baby can not stand up or

have the weight pressure of the upper body placed on the hip, knee, and ankle joints.

Here is the instructions from Beco on using a Butterfly 2 with a young baby.

http://www.becobabycarrier.com/cat-1/butterfly-2 

Baby wearing wishes,

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page