Baby leaning in Ring Sling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-16-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I just got my ring sling today and noticed my son is always leaning.  He's 7 months so I know he can stay up but we can't manage either outward facing (tailor sitting) or a back carry because he leans.  I have it pretty tight but I don't know.  greensad.gif  On my back he's only out from his knees down and neck up so he's not falling out but its not comfortable or reassuring to have a baby who is trying his best to stare at the floor!!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#2 of 4 Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On your back, are you sure you are getting a good seat? If his knees are above his bottom like they should be, then it would be harder for him to lean. 7 months is a little old IME for the tailor sitting front carry. Try a hip carry instead or at least a slightly off-center tummy-to-tummy hold.

Also, when tightening, make sure that you are lifting with your free hand as you tighten and pulling the rails separately to get the best fit. It is helpful for me to remember that the sling is mostly holding the baby to your body, not holding the baby itself. When I first started with ring slings, I had a hard time because I was trying to kind of suspend the baby, and that doesn't really work ;)

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I wasn't really sure what age group tailor sitting was for.  I just found 3+ months when I looked.  I think he's sitting right on my back but I'd have to try again and check later.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#4 of 4 Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any advice for a facing out carry--I didn't try that with an older baby.  But for a back carry, here's my favorite video tutorial.  I found it much easier to get a better fit like this than when I put the baby in on the front and then swung the sling around to the back.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page