Mothering Forum banner

Any tips for a wrapping newbie? (wrapping a 16 mos old)

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TiffanyToo 
#1 ·
Hi! I just purchased a woven wrap to wrap my 16 mos, 25 lb son. We currently use a ring sling and he does great with a hip carry. I am hoping to eventually to do a do back carry with him so I can get some things done around the house. Well, the wrap arrived today in the mail and I was very excited to give it a shot. Massive, catastrophic FAIL. From the moment I put him on my back, he started screaming and trying to push himself up. He never settled down and I gave up.

So, um, does anyone have any tips or tricks?

When he was younger (8 mos-ish, I think) - I tried a back carry in an Ergo in a store and he absolutely hated that too. I thought it could have been the fit, newness, being in a store, etc that could have been the problem...maybe he doesn't like being on my back. Sometimes I will push the ring sling around to my back to do a few things and he doesn't mind that, it's just really uncomfortable for me.

hmm, well, the wrap is functioning as a really nice blanket for me right now, so I guess it's not a total loss. :)

#2 ·
It's very common for kids to freak out while their mamas are learning to back wrap, don't worry! :)

My first piece of advice would be to practice with a stuffed animal until you have the carry memorized, and feel really comfortable with it. Then you'll be much faster when you wrap him, and he'll probably be more amenable to it.

It also helps to give him something to do while you're back wrapping. That could be a youtube video (we always watched the same one, so DD learned it was part of the routine), a fiddly snack, or a usually forbidden toy (like your phone).

And what carry are you doing? Kids are usually happier when they are high enough on your back to see over your shoulder easily. That might be part of what he didn't like about the Ergo back carry (which tends to be very low). Certain carries are easier to get high up than others.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply and advice!

I tried again yesterday - he tolerated a couple of attempts on the back. I had trouble getting a good seat under him and when I finally got that, he was sitting waaaaay too low on my back. I let him play with the remote while I was trying, that seemed to help.

I was trying to do Jordan's back carry at first and realized that's over my head right now. So, now I am attempting just a basic ruck-sack carry. Do you have any suggestions for high-up carries?

I was afraid I was traumatizing him with the wrap, but I was able to carry him around for a while on my hip with it. Later in the day, he brought the wrap to me and said, "up." So, I don't think I have done too much damage so far. :)

#4 ·
Here is a list of baby wearing groups hopefully there will be one near you. http://www.sakurabloom.com/pages/Babywearing-Groups.html

Often they can help with teaks that will help you and offer your little one peace of mind.

Praciting in front of a mirror with a stuffed animal is a good way to learn with out your little one freaking out.

He doesn't sound too freaked out that is really good!

#5 ·
Hi!

I hope things are getting better as you practice!

I also started wrapping late. DD was 17 months when I started, though she was a little lighter in weight (she's just under 25 lbs NOW at 2.5 years! lol). She hated it at first, and I will reassure you that she got SOOOO much better with practice. Now, she'll just lay on my back and let me play, but she will tell me when she's done and wants to get down, and I listen to her and end the practice session when she says that. That way, she'll let me try again another time or later in the day, b/c she knows she's not getting forced into it, so definitely follow the lead of your son. Also, I know this sounds horrible, but in the beginning if she was geting REALLY squirmy and fussy and I just wanted to finish the carry I was working on, I did put on a few minutes of Sesame Street so that she could turn her head and watch that while I used the mirror to finish the wrapping. When we were done, I'd let her down, flip off the TV and she was fine with it. It was just to relax her as I got her into a safe position, and it worked on getting her used to it. She's a pro, now! lol..even if I'm not.

Also, with a ruck, if you want him higher on your back, try starting with a superman toss. When you pull the rails over your shoulders, make sure you pull the top rail and the fabric just below the top rail SUPER tight, and then twist it and hold it with your teeth or chin. While you're holding with your teeth/chin, reach behind you and make sure the bottom rail fabric is spread under his bum, knee to knee. Also, when you put that bottom rail of fabric over your shoulders, don't pull it too tightly to adjust, or you will lose his seat. Just place it over your shoulders more than pull it. Does that make sense? Good luck!

#6 ·
Here is a really good youtube that is well paced and demonstrates developing a good seat and proper posture to the wearer so that you don't get and slipage when you are wearing baby. It is in German yet I think it does a good job of showing how you are ruck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.