Will I love my Beco Butterfly when he's older/bigger? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-12-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought it because I loved the print. DS is 9 weeks, and very tall. I am putting him in with froggy legs (no infant insert) because he seems too small to go legs out right now. It's hard to get him in. He stands up and resists settling. The safety clips are a pain. But most of all, I find it really hard to nurse in, and I cannot stand the internal Y panel. We're not doing back carries yet---will I love it later? Or should I sell it?

With DD I had an Ergo Sport and Pikkolo and felt pretty good about back carries, so I don't think I need to rely on the Y panel to get a LO into a back carry.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 2 Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's a really tiny baby to make a decision about any SSC, at that age I'm usually still wrapping with a Moby or maybe tucking them in a ring sling.  I don't break out the SSCs until they are older. 

I don't nurse in any SSC though- so I'm not a lot of help there, if I want to nurse and carry, my go to is a ring sling. I just can't pull it off with anything else. 

What I have discovered with my SSCs is that they really are more comfortable when they are sized.  A Beco would work for a few months, but after 15 months or so (or even earlier sometimes) I want a toddler carrier with a greater width and a nice high back.  My nearly 2yo is usually worn in our toddler Kindercarry- and it's SO much more comfortable for both of us than most of the others.  My three year old is carried in a very large preschool sized carrier I made just for him a few months ago.  

You can always use the carrier for a while then try to trade it on TBW if you find you still aren't loving it once your lo is big enough to be legs out. (It may be that he is ready for legs out with the Y panel now, that could make all the difference in comfort now.)  

I would have loved the Y panel when I was first learning back carries, but that stage only lasted a couple weeks and now I just pop DS in on my hip and spin him around to the back, the Y panel would just get in the way and annoy me. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page