BabyHawk Mei Tai Cutting Into My Son's Legs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2011, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I wear my very chubby 5-month-old son in my new BabyHawk Mei Tai (Front Carry, Front Tie), it seems like the straps are cutting into his legs (at the last step where you bring the straps around to the front and over the legs and tie them under the baby's bum).  He does not cry or make any indication that he is uncomfortable, but when I take him out after being in it even a short time, his legs have a visible and somewhat deep line in them. Should I bring the straps under his legs instead?  Or would this make the weight distribution wrong, or the carrier unsafe?  We are going to Disneyland, and I am worried about the consequences of carrying him in something that is going to be digging into his legs.  Advice appreciated! :D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM

I thought that tying under the bum was for toddlers and for infants you were supposed to tie in the middle of their back.

http://www.babyhawk.com/Instructions/

If you tied in the middle of his back, that might eliminate the problem.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 PM

Another step you could take is when you bring the straps to the front, instead of tying it off, twist them behind his back or maybe slightly lower and thread them back under his legs.  Then tie off everything on your back.  This might only work for the extra long straps which is what we have with our TH, but maybe it will work for you too?

Also try to make sure the straps are spread out nicely and not bunched up...sometimes they can bunch up and cut into you or the baby.  You could criss cross them (instead of twist) smoothly under his bum and thread them under his legs to tie off on your back.  I hope this all makes sense!?

Kate

Mother And Bebe - motherandbebe.com
From our heart to yours!
We sell traditional mei tais handmade in the USA.
Check us out on Facebook and Etsy.
Kate Staelens

Tags
Babywearing , Babyhawk , Babyhawk Mei Tai Baby Carrier
User Tag List