Is the Ergo worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just did a consignment sale of all our plastic toys and now have some extra money (as well as a nicer home winky.gif )

I am debating about getting an Ergo and if its really worth spending the money on. I currently have a Mei Tai I made (I think it cost 15- 20 for material) I used it for 6 months with DS1 and now for past month and half with DS2 pretty much daily. I know the Ergo would be well used, but is it really so much better?

I like the comfort of the Mei Tai, but hate how long it takes to put on (I know its only a minute but with DS1 waiting it feel like forever to untangle and straighten) Dh is fine with me doing what ever but feels paying at least 80 for something we kinds already have and use seems a bit much, but oh...I've wanted an Ergo since I heard of them shy.gif

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#2 of 13 Old 08-20-2011, 05:38 PM

I loved our Ergo.  We started using it with DD exclusively around 1 year and until she was about 2 1/2 (at which point we switched to a boba).  I found it much more comfortable than our Mei Tei or wraps as she got older (though we loved them for the first several months).  It was also super easy to get her in and out of.  It was definitely one of the best baby items we ever purchased!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 13 Old 08-20-2011, 07:15 PM

Hate to tap your bank account, but I have to tell you that the Ergo is probably the best thing we bought.  We got ours on Baby Steals when a MDC mom mentioned they were on sale that day.  I have used it and used it and it still looks brand-new.  The one we borrowed to see if we liked it enough to buy had been passed down through two kids and used for two years for each of them...held up like a charm and has now been passed to a third child.

The Ergo is a genius and we love it.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#4 of 13 Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 AM

I have arthritis and really the ergo is the only carrier I can use for more than 5 minutes!

#5 of 13 Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 AM

I have arthritis and really the ergo is the only carrier I can use for more than 5 minutes!

#6 of 13 Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 AM

I too was hesitant to buy an Ergo, but I'm so glad I did. We've been using it for about 5 months now and it's still super comfortable wearing my 15 month old. I imagine we'll use it for at least another year or so with him and then also with any future babes. Have you looked on Craigslist in your area? There are often Ergos for sale second hand. Also, this website http://babysteals.stealnetwork.com/ has Ergos at half price occasionally. You would have to wait for the sale, but it might be worth it if you're not in a hurry and want to save some money. 

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#7 of 13 Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 AM

I really liked the Ergo until I lost all the preggo weight.  Once I lost all the weight, it didn't adjust tight enough for me, and my ds is a back leaner - so the back of the Ergo didn't go high enough on his back to make it work for us.

I got the Beco after that and LOVE it - I'm keeping it forever and ever and never getting rid of it.  So.....I would say to find a way to try it on, and maybe compare with a few others before spending the money (then again, I'm tiny, and after I lost the preggo weight I was SUPER skinny, more than usual due to stress).

#8 of 13 Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I debated for a full month on the ergo & in the end am SO glad I got it. It was worth every cent - we used it a LOT & will get a lot more use with this next baby. Definitely worth it imo.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 13 Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 PM

I personally would go with a Boba, which is the same idea, but with a higher rise to the back of it (the part that goes behind the baby) It is about 3 inches higher and I know that I would be scared to have my 18mo DD in an Ergo because she likes to lean back.

Mama to  Hadley (2/10) energy.gif& Sawyer (1/13) babyboy.gif familybed1.gif

#10 of 13 Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have the Mai Tai, Ergo and Becco, and the Ergo is my favorite for comfort.  I can wear either of the girls for long hikes without it hurting my back.  DD1 is 35 lbs and DD2 is 20 lbs.  I just got the Becco and I really do like it and I will love it when we have another baby (the seat part can narrow for smaller babes).  

If you are not having any other kids, I would stick with the Mai Tai, I think they are almost as comfortable and use the money on something else.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#11 of 13 Old 08-21-2011, 03:12 PM

I loved my Ergo, until I got a Manduca. High back - DS leans back - and a better fit for me. Now I love my Manduca!

#12 of 13 Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themothership View Post

I personally would go with a Boba, which is the same idea, but with a higher rise to the back of it (the part that goes behind the baby) It is about 3 inches higher and I know that I would be scared to have my 18mo DD in an Ergo because she likes to lean back.

Thanks!!! You spurned new research and I was torn between Pikkolo and Boba, but zulily has a great sale today that sealed the deal. Much cheaper than I was planning to pay, color I wanted, plus benefits I was looking for in Ergo. So So excited I'll let you know how it goes when it comes!!!

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#13 of 13 Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post

Thanks!!! You spurned new research and I was torn between Pikkolo and Boba, but zulily has a great sale today that sealed the deal. Much cheaper than I was planning to pay, color I wanted, plus benefits I was looking for in Ergo. So So excited I'll let you know how it goes when it comes!!!

I hope it works for you! We love ours, my dd (18mo) will find it and bring it to me and ask to be worn in it.

Mama to  Hadley (2/10) energy.gif& Sawyer (1/13) babyboy.gif familybed1.gif

Tags
Ergo Baby , Ergo Baby Carrier , Babywearing , Babyhawk Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page