Carrier ideas needed for older sibling to carry toddler on back - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9yo daughter is forever carrying around her 17mo baby brother, even though I remind her she doesn't have to. She's requested her own carrier so she can occasionally wear him on her back (with me monitoring and limiting it so she doesn't overextend her growing body or fall and injure them both).

She put on my Ergo the other day. It worked, but it's really too big even at all the smallest settings. I have a Moby Wrap, but I don't feel so confident about her keeping him tight enough in that and she ends up with lots of extra fabric. We have ring slings, but she's not ready to learn a back carry with those.

Any ideas?

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place
#2 of 6 Old 08-27-2011, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

A short woven wrap would probably be the most adjustable for her size. Or perhaps a Mai Tai. The Didymos wovens are nice and light so wouldn't be too bulky for her. The Gypsy Mama gauze wraps are also light but I find the fabric a bit too scratchy, even after repeated washing.

The Moby and other stretchy wraps are not safe for back carries, you're right not to consider that as an option.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-27-2011, 11:43 AM

I think a mei tai would be great for her. Something like one of these, simple and easy to adjust.
http://www.peppermint.com/mei-tai.html
Or you could look for a used one on the babywearer FSOT. You can get a great price on mei tais
Sweet that she wants to carry him!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#4 of 6 Old 08-28-2011, 02:36 PM

my very petite sister gets a good fit with a Becco Butterfly .... but a Mai Tai would be just as easy to get a snug fit with and a lot less expensive, if you're crafty you can even make one! 

what a sweet big sister!

#5 of 6 Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 AM

My 7YO son also has asked for a carrier to back-carry his 20mo brother.  I'm making him a mei tai for Christmas.  I'm just scaling down the pattern I made for myself.  The baby won't ever be sleeping on his brother's back, so it really only needs to be a safe seat to perch in (no head support needed).  I was thinking of sizing it so that the top comes to just below the baby's armpits.  The tricky part seems to be making the base small enough to go around big-brother's waist but wide enough to avoid that "Bjorn leg-dangle" for the baby.

Let us know what you decide to do, OP!

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#6 of 6 Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! I ended up making her a mei tai and only had to size it down a couple inches all around. I purposely didn't go too small because I want it to be a backup that my husband can wear, too, when we each need to hold one of our little boys.

I used a tutorial on the Jan Andreas site and it was quick and easy. Unfortunately we haven't used it yet. I made it for a homeschool field trip for taking a nature hike, but that morning my daughter had to have some dental work and they suggested no heavy lifting. Even my daughter was like, "But Mom, the carrier spreads baby's weight so well it's not really heavy lifting!" It rained anyway so it was a moot point. I'll try to post a pic of her trying on brother in the new mei tai.

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place

Tags
Babywearing , Ergo Baby , Ergo Baby Carrier , Ring Slings , Babyhawk Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page