Woven wrap for newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hate to say it, but with my last newborn, I didn't really like the Moby at the newborn stage. I am looking into woven wraps because this baby will be born sometime in the late spring and I want something light weight for the summer. I was wondering if you can even use woven wraps for newborns? If so, can someone point me in the right direction? I have no idea what to buy!!! I should say that I am tall (5'11") so I know I am going to need a long wrap. TIA!

Rainbow.gif & stillheart.gif   -Jessica om.gif Married to my tattooed hottie (5 years) heartbeat.gif WAHM to 3 girls (5, 3 and 7 months) jumpers.gif and expecting a new bundle 1sttri.gif (EDD May 13, 2012!) femalesling.GIFhomebirth.jpgcd.gifselectivevax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 04:07 AM

You can ABSOLUTELY use wovens with newborns.  They're fabulous!  To new mamas with newborns, I recommend Girasols, Vatanais, Didymos that soften up easily - Colorgrown patterns (Indios, Waves, or Leaves), or BBslens or Dolcinos (those 2 are pretty similar.  they are soft and floppy right from the get go, but they are very WIDE, so it will last you a really long time into toddlerhood, but you have to get the hang of wrapping tiny baby with a very wide piece of fabric).  For summer time, Vatanais are really great!  They're nice and cool.

I love Storchenwieges, too, in the Leo pattern, but they are a bit stiff in the beginning.  The Leo Grun (green) actually comes out of the box very soft and floppy, but the other colors are a little thicker and stiffer. 

Any wrap is fine, but the first few I suggested need little if no breaking in, which you want for a newborn.  Unless!...you find a nice used wrap that is already broken in, then you can pretty much use anything!  Girasols are often recommended b/c they can come with rainbows or gradiated colors, so you know which rail you are tightening very easily.  Also, I'd go for a size 6, or 4.6m, for a newborn, with a Front Wrap Cross Carry, but if you are on the fluffier side, you'll want a size 7, or a 5.2m. 

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 AM

I love Gypsy Mama wraps for warm weather. They are beautiful, lightweight, soft and good for newborns to older babies. Long sizes are available for all of them.
http://www.wrapsodybaby.com/
Congratulations on your new baby!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris

Tags
Babywearing , Moby Wrap , Woven Wraps , Gypsy Mama
User Tag List